How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Susan Ivy Your Own Question
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4058
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
Type Your Health Question Here...
Susan Ivy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am having pain in my esophagus. pressure in chest. to it

Customer Question

I am having pain in my esophagus. pressure in chest. to it has lasted the entire day. burping releaves it for seonds and then its back. It is in the same spot all the time and it is not releaved by mylanta or malox. i am currently on prilosec for 4 day and it appears to be getting worse. i cant eat with out the pain getting wors in the center of my chest just behind my breast bone.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using our service tonight.

I am sorry to hear of your unrelieved pain.

The treatment your doctor has provided is of course correct.

In a situation such as this, when treatment is failing, and your pain is so severe that you cannot eat, you will need to be evaluated in person, because pain medications may be needed until an upper GI or other studies can be done to determine whether or not you are developing a more severe problem such as Barrett's Esophagus.

Additionally, while the history you have provided so far does not indicate the potential for any cardiac or heart problems, all chest pain that is unrelieved needs prompt evaluation.

It is recommended that you go to an urgent care or emergency clinic at this time.

Now, once the acute situation is relieved, I would be very happy to discuss with you how to manage GERD long term (especially if you physician has not touched on this topic with you.

Now, if you are having any numbness in the arms, shortness of breath, fatigue along with this pain, then it is best for you to call 911 to have immediate assistance. Otherwise, if you have someone that can take you to a nearby Urgent Care or ER that would be suggested.

I am standing by now to wait for your reply and to see if you have any additional symptoms you would like to discuss or have any other questions at this time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This all started after coffee this morning. its is not heart related. My doctor told me to try mylanta and up the prilosec but its worse.

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 3 years ago.
How would you rate your pain right now on a scale from 1 to 10 with 10 being the worst pain you have ever experienced?