Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Can Rivotril be used as a PRN for anxiety attacks without being

Can Rivotril be used as a PRN for anxiety attacks without being used regularly? For example instead of Valium?

Chris C. :

Hello! I will be assisting you today. Clonazepam (Rivotril) is ten times more potent, so the equivalent dose is ten times less than that of Diazepam.

Chris C. :

There are less toxicity issues with the newer benzos that require smaller doses. Another advantage is that, requiring smaller doses, the potential for addiction is reduced.

Chris C. :

Clonazepam makes you sleepy, though, so if you really must take a benzo for anxiety, I'd recommend Xanax. But only if you really must. The dependency risk is the same for all.

Chris C. :

Rivotril can be used PRN as you suggest with a much shorter half-life than Valium (which is quite long and can cause hangover).

Chris C. :

Xanax is the preferred anti-anxiety benzo as it is fast acting and has a short half-life with much less drowsiness.

Customer:

Can it be safely used with amysulpride, mirtazipine and venlafaxine?

Customer:

Also, the dose I have is .5mg, I usually use 10mg of Valium but find it is not very effective.

Chris C. :

Yes it can but with this combination it must be done under the direct supervision of your doctor since oversedation is a serious concern.

Chris C. :

I understand. We are not allowed to discuss dosages online. Depending on the dosage of the other medication this will likely address your PRN anxiety issues.

Chris C. :

But

Chris C. :

This must be done under a physicians supervision.

Customer:

would .5 rivatril approx equate to 10mg of Valium as I currently take? I have severe stress disorder and depression and suffer severe panic attacks so am researching a better option than Valium or xanex.

Chris C. :

This varies from person to person as to the effects. As to the numbers the math works out that they are about equal but the duration is much shorter vs Valium.

Customer:

Ok. Shorter is ok, but I need it to be effective and fast acting.

Chris C. :

Yes this is fast acting and that is the reason it can be used PRN and it is very effective with most anxiety disorders.

Customer:

Ok, thanks so much for your help.