Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Glandular fever. I am wondering whether I should be worried

Glandular fever. I am wondering whether...
Glandular fever.
I am wondering whether I should be worried by a mild pain left hand side under rib cage when I breathe in. It's not excruciating I just feel it when I breathe in. I am in recovery stage of glandular fever, I suspect the virus was in full mode August 8th
9/10/2013
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Hello.
Thank you for your question.
The pain as you describe is called pleurisy. It is the inflammation of the lining of the lungs. This is quite common following a viral infection, including EBV (glandular fever)
It will resolve. You may take Motrin for pain as needed.
If you do develop concerning symptoms- worsening pain, shortness of breath, fever, coughing up blood or anything else you are worried about, see your doctor right away.
I hope this helped!
Please positive feedback if it did :-)
it's nothing to do with my spleen?
You can get swelling of the spleen with Epstein Barr infections, which is why they caution you against contact sports. People usually report more pain with palpation- do you have that?
Yeah it does hurt mildly when I palpate the area.
Fair enough. You may have a little swelling of the spleen. Treatment is conservative- rest and hydration. As well you can get enlargement of the liver. You may want to make an appointment with your doctor and get an ultrasound to confirm this.
If you have any severe abdominal pain or dark colored urine then you need to see a doctor right away. But no contact sports until the swelling goes down.
I hope this helped
Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)
I have also been put on endep why would that be! It's only 10mg but I'm unsure as to what this has to do with glandular fever?
I don't know why you are on it.
It is an antidepressant.
I looked at the literature and I saw one patient put on it who ended up having chronic fatigue syndrome. But I do not see it as a treatment for Epstein Barr
she seems to think I have CFS also but I'm not depressed? What would be the reason for that?
Well it is a good medication for pain associated with CFS. But it seems that you have an acute infection, right? Usually people feel much better on their own after a month or so without meds.
Ok I have only been on it for two weeks and have a lot of fluid retention. I do not want to take it anymore what side affects if any will I experience after only taking for two weeks?
You will need to taper down because just stopping may cause withdrawal- agitation, insomnia, etc
You should tell you doctor you want to stop and they will walk you through a taper
I hope this helped! Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)
Ok thanks I suffer from headaches and insomnia anyway so will be nothing out of the ordinary. Thanks heaps for your help I appreciate your time :)
You are welcome.
Did I provide you with excellent service?
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Hi Kaz
I was checking in to see how you were doing :-)
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor