Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I'm an executive assistant to a man who has a herniated disc

(L4 & L5, I believe)...
I'm an executive assistant to a man who has a herniated disc (L4 & L5, I believe). He is 55 years old, and aside from high cholesterol, which he carefully monitors with diet and medication, he is quite healthy. He is about 5'10" and 165 pounds at most. He used to exercise daily, but has been limited since he hurt his back several months ago. He has seen an orthopedic surgeon, who prescribed a limited series of prednisone and rest for him. He is told that, given time, he will probably heal on his own, without surgery. Being very frustrated by his now limited activity, he has been exploring his options, trying to determine what the best approach is for him. He recently gave me the following task: find a knowledgeable doctor who consults with people about such matters. Having looked into what I think he is getting at, Concierge Medicine comes closest so far, but I don't think that is exactly it. It seems to me that a person with the means ($) can find a physician who can research and recommend the best course of action. The question is, how do you find such a professional? I though perhaps medical consultants on JustAnswer.com might have a better idea what I am trying to find, and may be able to give me some guidance. Thank you for your time.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/10/2013
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
What part of the country does he live?

Was this orthopedic surgeon a specialist in back surgery or a general orthopedic surgeon?

Have his symptoms improved over time?

When did he first have symptoms? What symptoms?

Does he have pain radiating down the leg?

Any weakness or loss of muscle size in the leg/thigh?

Has he had a second opinion?

California (Northern)

General orthopedic surgeon.

The symptoms seem to improve, but can easily get worse if he is not very careful in his movements.

First symptoms appeared in the beginning of this year. Lower back pain, pain in the buttocks, pain radiating down the leg. Some tingling, trembling (shaking) and weakness in leg muscles. I don't know about changes in size.

No second opinion obtained at this point.

At this point, I believe his best option would be to seek a second opinion from a neurosurgeon who specializes in back surgery.

I do not personally know any of the neurosurgeons in Northern CA - but any of the larger university affiliated hospitals neurosurgery departments should be able to direct you to someone who deals primarily with back surgery.

General orthopedic surgeons in my experience are very poor choices for dealing with back problems. It is a bit like using a general purpose contractor to build high-tech industrial plant.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)