How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 31590
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had severe muscle spasms in my back for a week now,

This answer was rated:

I have had severe muscle spasms in my back for a week now, sometimes they are every 20 seconds for hours at a time. I've never been tazed before, but that's what I imagine that they feel like. I can't control my movements or what sounds I make when it happens. I've been to the ER twice, convinced I had a large kidney stone, which I've had before. But now, the spasms are happening between my rib cage, it's like going around full circle. It's hard to use any muscle from my chest to belly button. I can't handle it anymore.
Hi--where exactly is the worst of the pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

a week ago, it started in my upper back (flank), right side. Then the spasms spread all over my upper back. Constantly, as if someone had a tazer gun and kept shooting me. Now they are in front between my ribs. I called the ER that did the CT to ask if I could possibly have gallstones, but the nurse said it would have shown up.

Was your heart checked at the ER?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would assume so. I mean they used a stethoscope, checked my pulse, etc. My blood pressure was high, but that's not uncommon for me when I'm in extreme pain.

OK--this sounds like you have a disk problem in your thoracic apine and you need an MRI of both the thoracic and lumbar spine to look for that. After that I would refer you to a physiatrist--a physical therapy and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a customized therapy program that should relieve your pain
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have you known of cases that have constant spasms like I'm having? For more than a week? My GP promised that they would stop, but I'm telling you they are more severe than kidney stones, birth, broken bones, etc. I feel like I have tourettes(SP?) ... I just can't control my movements or noises when they happen, and it's all the time. I'm exhausted. There was a Dr. that said "we have more medicine, than you have pain", I haven't found that to be true.

I've seen many cases like yours, especially if a disk is impinging on nerve roots. You need the MRI's and the referral as soon as possible.
Dr. Chip and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Health Questions