kimo31
kimo31, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  Family Practice resident.
14971955

Our grandaughter tried to eat a 150 mg serequel xr tablet

our grandaughter tried to eat a 150 mg serequel xr tablet but spit the majority of it out but is complaining of a horrible taste in her mouth what should we do
kimo31 :

Hello, I am very sorry to hear of this situation. I am happy to assist with your question today.

Customer:

thank you

kimo31 :

For situations such as accidental medication ingestion by a child, I would refer to your local poison control center.

Customer:

ok

kimo31 :

The recommended phone number is *****

kimo31 :

Fortunately, from the information gleaned from your question, there may be minimal intake.

Customer:

thankyou

kimo31 :

Is this person complaining of anything other than a nasty taste in her mouth?

kimo31 :

Is she having any changes in how quickly or slowly she is breathing?

Customer:

nasty taste in her mouth and she is falling asleep

Customer:

i am on the phone with poison control now

kimo31 :

in the side effect of falling asleep, I would advise that she be seen by a medical professional

kimo31 :

Is there any other substance that she may have possibly ingested?

Customer:

no other substance

Customer:

also poison control said its bedtime so we are to watch her for two hours and they will call us back

kimo31 :

Excellent. This dose that she likely ingested is not above the maximum that can be given to kids, although generally after a tapered dose.

kimo31 :

It is important to watch her breathing in particular. Any other advice I will recommend you head the advice of the Poison Control Center above any advice that you glean online.

kimo31 :

If you have any question about her status, I generally advise parents to have their child examined by a medical professional.

Customer:

thank you for your assistance

kimo31 :

Absolutely. I wish you all the very best and am sorry that she got ahold of this medication. although sometimes these things are seemingly unavoidable, I would advise making sure it remains locked and secured from small fingers in the future.

Customer:

Yes we thought we had that covered but were wrong tomorrow will be changing things again.

kimo31 :

Good work. It sounds as though you are very concerned grandparents. Please plan to follow up with poison control later tonight and take your granddaughter to be seen by a physician if she appears unwell.

Customer:

Thank you for your assistance and concern. we will be following up with poison control. You have a wonderful weekend

kimo31 :

You as well. If you have no further questions, kindly rate these comments with positive feedback. To request me in the future, feel free to say so in the stem of your question!

I recently worked with you in regard to your concern about your granddaughter's ingestion of Seroquel. I just wanted to follow up with you and see how things have progressed. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me again.