Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I went to the podiatrist a week ago, and he put me in a

Hi.
I went to the podiatrist a week ago, and he put me in a walking boot. I've been doing my best to level out my shoes so that one isn't higher than the other, causing further problems.
I crashed into the corner of a bed with my left knee in July. To my knowledge, I didn't do any damage except bruise it badly and get a cut.
The last two days, my left leg (without the boot) has been constantly hurting - even at rest. I'm a bit on the paranoid side because that is the same leg in which I had a DVT in March. It is about 1.5 inches bigger than the right leg at the fattest part of my calf. Is this related to the boot, DVT, or knee injury?
Dr. Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name is***** will try to assist you with your medical question and any medical information you seek.

Dr. Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr. Brims :

Why were you placed in a walking boot?

Customer:

I had really bad pain for months on the top of my right foot. I was in a shoe, but it wasn't helping at all. He was going to put a pad on my foot for me to walk on, but that hurt really bad, too. He said I have a tight Achilles' tendon...and that he wants to see how the pain does being stable in a walking boot for 2 weeks.

Dr. Brims :

How long have you had the leg swelling?

Customer:

I noticed it today when I got home from work. It just started hurting yesterday.

Dr. Brims :

How bad is the pain on a scale of 1-10?

Customer:

It can be an 8, right now it's a 4. I'm resting.

Dr. Brims :

I see, this may be another DVT, since you have had one in the past it cannot be ruled out (unless you are on warfarin or another blood thinner)

Customer:

I'm on Xarelto

Dr. Brims :

Then the chances of a DVT are decreased, it may be due to the boot or injury

Customer:

How can I figure out which one?

Dr. Brims :

If the pain worsens or stays the same over the next 48 hours then it may require an examination to rule out an injury

Dr. Brims :

You can stop wearing the boot for a few days, and if the pain improves then it may be due to the boot

Customer:

Could I have injured my knee when I ran into the bed frame?

Dr. Brims :

yes, you could have, but the knee should be swollen, not the calf

Customer:

it radiates into the thigh at times

Dr. Brims :

That part may be related to the knee injury

Dr. Brims :

Are you there?

Dr. Brims :

Hello?

Customer:

Sorry

Customer:

Yes. I am.

Dr. Brims :

Is there anything else you would like to ask on this topic?

Customer:

I don't think so. What should I do?

Dr. Brims :

You mean to end the chat session?

Customer:

No. About my pain.

Dr. Brims :

Keeping the leg elevated and using anti-inflammatory drugs like motrin are the best options for treating contusions that cause pain and swelling

Customer:

Okay.

Dr. Brims :

It seems there is a time lapse after my replies

Dr. Brims :

If you have no other questions on this topic, you may click a rating button to end the chat session

Dr. Brims :

If you still have questions please feel free to ask