Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Both feet are swollen but the left is really bad. the

both feet are swollen but the left is really bad. the burning is on top of the foot. and what looks like small blood vesels broken

Hello Margaret,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Swelling of feet and ankle on both the sides can be associated because of the following reasons (It is always important to discuss this with your primary care physician for the evaluation):

1) Venous valvular incompetence

2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow

3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.

4) Congestive heart failure

5) Kidney diseases

6) Protein deficiency

7) Hypothyroidism

8) Anemia

9) Medications

Following measures are beneficial in decreasing or resolving the swelling:

1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.

2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool.Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.

3) Exercises / physical therapy

a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).

b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.

4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.

Burning can be helped by;

1) Analgesics

2) Acupuncture

3) A very mild massage; keeping the massage direction towards heart.

4) Electrical stimulation; this is a small device which physical therapy centers would give your for the home use.

The small blood vessel looking broken point it to be as venous valvular incompetence. A colored doppler study (specialized ultrasound) would diagnose the cause. You may also be prescribed a stockinet, if the varicose veins . incompetent veins are found by the physical exam and ultrasound.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.