Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Smoking pot. Could someone tell me why some people smoke

Smoking pot.

Could someone tell me why some people smoke pot and feel relaxed and why some feel just the opposite, a bit paranoid? Not because they are afraid of getting caught.
Recent research has shown that it's probably the effect of cannabis on receptors in the amygdala part of the brain rather than those on the frontal cortex. The amygdala is involved with the fight or flight syndrome of the adrenaline rush. It may be that the people who get anxious and paranoid have slight different amygdala receptors that are sensitive to the cannabis
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know if I completely understand that. It seems that those who do not experience relaxation, that something is abnormal?

Not abnormal exactly as in that they have some psychological problem. Another example is the eurphoria many people get with opiates like heroin or prescription pain medications--many people don't like the feeling those give them--the fuzzy brain, the lightheadedness, etc--it's because their opiate receptors in the brain are a little different from the ones that experience the euphoria.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So all is normal, right. Okay, so I'm thinking not everyone can take pain medication because neurologically they cannot handle it?

They don't like the side effects but they may still take pain medication for severe pain. But just because one person becomes paranoid or anxious on pot doesn't mean they have a psychiatric problem.