Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My mother is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's, she is 84

and has heart problems. cardiologist said...
my mother is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's, she is 84 and has heart problems.
cardiologist said today has aortic valve blockage and leaking, mitral valve has blockage and leaking. she has a pacemaker, colostomy, and had several hernia surgeries. She has another huge hernia in original spot (grapefruit size and bleeding)( in lower left abdomen) and surgeon says has one behind stoma now. Fear of abdomen, breaking open and "spilling her guts". so which is worse risk, doing surgery or not doing surgery.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/4/2013
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Hi--what exactly is bleeding? How's the stoma working?

the stomach at the hernia site

the skin there is open? How much bleeding?

i believe at one point it was said it was dripping blood, stoma works good. the nursing home doctor believed they would admit her immediately, but surgeon wanted tests done, she had CT scan, and echo

OK--has the surgeon said how exactly he would repair the hernia?

no, will talk with him tomorrow after he talks with cardiologist

Sorry for all the questions but has the surgeon said she has to have the surgery to prevent a catastrophe?

when she went to her consult, that was basically the answer that was given

OK. In that case I think she does need the surgery but it may not have to be an extensive procedure and it could be done under spinal rather than general anesthesia. All that may be needed is to place a mesh in the abdominal wall and suture it in to hold her intestines in. If the surgery wasn't done until her intestines broke loose that would be an emergency situation and a more extensive procedure. So basically I'm saying it's much better to take care of the problem now than to wait until it becomes an emergency.
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)

thank you, ***** ***** worried more about the after care as to whether to put her thru another surgery in her condition.. Thank you

Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)