How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 31681
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a very healthy lady of 61 years. $ years back I stopped

This answer was rated:

I am a very healthy lady of 61 years. $ years back I stopped my HRT which I was on for 3 years. I have been tested and have Psoratic Arthritis. I was on Methatrexate but I was not happy with an enlarged liver so I went off the Metharexate . My GP is insisting that I should be back on HRT otherwise in a few years I will be a cripple. I do have sore knees and battle with being as flexible as I was........ I do admit to feeling as if I have inflamation in my muscles ....but HRT ?
Hi--I don't understand why your GP is asking you to go back on HRT--do you have osteoporosis?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I do not but I have been treated for Psoratic/Rheumatoid

but why exactly does your doctor want you to go back on the HRT?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She says that if I don't take the hormone I will be a men doctors do not understand woman and the HRT will stop the progression of my arthritis. I do not have any menopausal problems and I still have my uterus.

OK--there are no scientific studies that show that HRT is very effective for psoriatic arthritis. In your case, I'd suggest an immune modulator like Humira instead if the arthritis is progressing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** I rate this service, would you be able to inform me if this Humira is available in South Africa under this name ?

it is under that brand name. You may need to see a rheumatologist though, Judy, to get it prescribed for you
Dr. Chip and other Health Specialists are ready to help you