Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

What conditions OTHER THAN LYME DISEASE will cause a "bullseye

What conditions OTHER THAN LYME DISEASE will cause a "bullseye rash"?
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you have any other symptoms?
Are you on any medications?
Any other health or medical problems?
Any investigations so far?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He attends a boarding school in Bahrain but was in Boston the last week of July. They eye redness first appeared while he was there. He just noticed the rash on Sunday.

He had an infection in the same eye a year ago but it "went away" after using the medications prescribed for conjunctivitis.

He was misdiagnosed with conjunctivitis this time during 3 doctor visits over 3 weeks (same doctor who saw him last year). Once his vision became so blurry he couldn't see the "big E" at the top of the eye chart, he was sent to an opthalmologist who diagnosed it as uveitis (one eye only) and said the cause was herpes symplex. The opthalmologist made this conlusion (herpes) without any lab testing.

His current medications for the uveitis are Valtrex 500 mg and Homatropine HBR 2% eye drops. During the 3 previous weeks he was prescribed various drops and ointments which had no effect.

I have read that uveitis could be caused by many things other than herpes simplex and want to rule out the other possibilities.

When I emailed the opthalmologist a photo of the bullseye rash and asked if his uveitis could be caused by Lyme disease, he replied "Lyme do not usually cause the corneal finding that he has."

I am currently at work and cannot upload the photo. I can send it to you later today.

Whether or not the uveitis is caused by Lyme disease is not as important as knowing whether or not his rash indicates he has Lyme disease.

I convinced the first doctor to order blood tests. Blood was taken for 6 lab tests including Lyme disease but the Lyme results won't be availble for 6 weeks because the sample was sent from Saudi Arabia to the Mayo Clinic.

1. Would a bullseye rash from Lyme disease take a month to show up?

2. What else causes a bullseye rash?

3. The blurry vision, redness and light sensitivity have substantially improved. Would this happen if there is another underlying cause?

Infectious causes

Systemic disorders

Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

.

Since the previous expert has opted out, I am answering your questions.

Usually the Bull's eye rash would present in 7-14 days and persists for 3 weeks of the tick bite. It is rare to bull's eye rash to take a month to show up. Though the medical literature says that it can appear in the range of 1-33 days. Please the reference resource;

http://dermnetnz.org/bacterial/lyme.html

2. What else causes a bullseye rash?

The rash has also been described in the Southeastern United States in association with Amblyomma americanum - the lone star tick. Please see this authentic medical reference;

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/583023_3

3. The blurry vision, redness and light sensitivity has substantially improved. Would this happen if there is another underlying cause?

A generalized cause, manifesting uveitis has less likelihood of improving in 1-2 weeks usually.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine