How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 32779
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a little concerned about something on my skin that

Customer Question

I'm a little concerned about something on my skin that popped up about two days ago. At first glance it looked like a bruise, but I haven't hurt that area or anything. It feels slightly rough, and when I press down it doesn't fade, but it hurts.. like stings almost. It's pinkish, red. I'm not sure what I should be putting on it.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--it would help greatly if you could post a photo on this page. If not, where exactly is this and is it raised at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry I couldn't take a very good picture - but it's the reddish looking area. It's a little bumpy on the area, but aside from that it isn't raised, it just feels like sandpaper.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
That's good enough. I take it you've never had anything like this before? Any symptoms like fever, joint pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I have not had any thing pop up like that, and I do not have a fever or joint pain.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK This could be what's called the herald patch of pityriasis rosea which is a condition where you may break out in a diffuse rash later on. It's nothing serious and does go away with time and some antihistamines. It could also be what's called inflammatory eczema. If you did get a fever and joint pain I might consider Lyme disease, even if you aren't aware of having been bitten by a tick. Hard to give you just one diagnosis here, but for now you can try some cortisone cream and either benadryl or Claritin. If it persists more than a few days or you do get other symptoms like what I mentioned, you should have a doctor take a look at it.