Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I am a multiple myeloma patient with leukopenia and

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
I am a multiple myeloma patient with leukopenia and neutropenia and recently completed 10 days of Levofloxacin for a urinary tract infection. Since I was still experiencing symptoms but did noticed marked improvement with treatment, I went back to the doctor on Friday and was put back on an additional 5 days. I am wondering if it would safe for me take some plain yogurt as I was reading that might help alleviate some of my symptoms and speed recovery. However, I am hesitant to do so due to the low white blood cell count and I was told probiotics and live cultures are contraindicated in patients with low white blood cell counts.
Respectfully,
Elena
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name is***** and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also.

Dr. Hasan :

In my opinion yes you should avoid it because probiotics should be avoided in diseases related to low white blood cell count.

Dr. Hasan :

Although the risk is very very low and more of theoretical value but still as you are not getting better with levofloxacin, it's better not to take any risk.

Dr. Hasan :

Here is a link for your guidance.

Dr. Hasan :

Just press CTRL and F together and type white blood cell, it will take you to the paragraph where it has been told to avoid probiotcs in cases like yours.

Dr. Hasan :

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan :

Regards

Dr. Hasan :

Welcome to the chat.

Dr. Hasan :

Have you read my answer?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below..