Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Prozac use

4 days ago, I took 2/3 of one 20mg prozac capsule and had bad side effects: anxiety, nausea, loss of appetite. I still feel the side effects today, although milder. Is this normal? How long will the effects wear off?

Dr. Vikas :

Hello

Dr. Vikas :

Prozac is a SSRI antidepressant and just like all other SSRI antidepressant can cause side effect like anxiety, nausea, lack of appetite, constipation or diarrhoea during the initiation of therapy.

Dr. Vikas :

In most cases, these side effects are transient and goes away within a week or two.

Customer:

Ok. But I only took 1 dose.

Dr. Vikas :

However, you can ask your doctor to prescribe you a low dose of .25 mg of Clonazepam which can effectively control your anxiety symptoms in the mean while.

Dr. Vikas :

yes, a single dose can also cause these side effect

Dr. Vikas :

we usually prescribe Prozac in combination with Clonazepam to our patients

Customer:

And for this long even after I stopped taking it completely?

Dr. Vikas :

and also prescribe medicine like Domperidone in combination with a Protoin Pump inhibitor like Pantroprazole to control the side effects like nausea and other gastric side effects.

Dr. Vikas :

yes, side effects may persist for few days because Prozac has a long half life and tend to stay for long duration in the body.

Dr. Vikas :

but don't worry, they will go away shortly.

Customer:

ok maybe because I opened the capsule?

Dr. Vikas :

as I mentioned earlier, just discuss with your doctor about trying clonazepam in combination with Prozac

Dr. Vikas :

and a PPI -Domperidone combination.

Customer:

ok thanks!

Dr. Vikas :

You are most welcome. If these side effects persist or aggravate further, your doctor can prescribe you the medicine I mentioned above and that should control these side effects.

Dr. Vikas :

do you have any other question to ask?

Dr. Vikas :

If you do not require further assistance, please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Please take a moment to rate the answer.

Kind regards

Vikas

Customer:

Thank you!!