Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I'm 18 and a smoker. I smoked only a pack a week of

cigarettes but I used to...
I'm 18 and a smoker. I smoked only a pack a week of cigarettes but I used to smoke a lot of hookah (smokeless tobacco.) I quit smoking about a week ago because my symptoms worsened. Here are my symptoms : It started with an irritated throat, lump in throat sensation, got meds for strep turned out to not be strep. Got told there was cobblestoning in my throat due to acid reflux/post nasal drip. took otc claritin and prevacids. It helped my throat for a while but A week later I got lesions on both sides of my tongue, so I went to my ENT. My ENT doctor was very dismissive and told me I just had irritated salivary glands and nothing else, without even looking down my throat. Now, there is a white patch in the back of my tongue, and my entire tongue is coated with white. It feels very dry and It feels like it's difficult to stay hydrated. There is a lump in my throat again and I have lost almost 15 pounds. My lymph nodes have also swelled up in my neck, and around my neck it is swollen. I also have a very bitter taste in my mouth upon waking up or just not eating. I have asked a doctor on here before and he told me it was most likely a bacterial infection in my mouth. Can anyone help me with some more ideas on what it could be? Should I find another ENT doctor? I'm going to the dentists on tuesday to check it out and my dentist is very reliable unlike my ENT doctor.
8/31/2013
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Thank you for your question,
I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.
Did yogurt help with your symptoms?
Which medicines are you taking now?

yogurt seems to have helped the bitter taste to go away a little. I am only taking tylenol and prevacid at the moment

I also forgot to mention the swelling of the lymph nodes has made my neck very sore and my anxiety is worsening my perception of this

Thank you for the information,
White coating can be due to collection of dead cells & bacteria on the tongue.
This can occur from dehydration, fever, mouth breathing, smoking, alcohol etc.
White tongue can be from fungal infection or thrush too.
It can follow an illness.
This alters the normal flora causing the yeast to grow.
In many cases it passes off on its own.
Yogurt with lactobacilli in it helps to restore the flora.
Sometimes, anti fungal medicines are required.
When you have developed enlarged nodes there can be a bacterial infection also
You need to get it checked by doctor.
If you can not consult your ENT doctor now, you can visit an urgent care or GP.
He can look at your throat & take tests to prescribe medicines.
I hope this information helps.
I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.
Please feel free for any follow up query.
Regards.

do you think by any chance that it could be cancer? also i am not having any difficulty breathing or swallowing

I do not think it is cancer.
Your symptoms are likely from infection, thrush.

are weight loss and tongue lesions common with thrush? and throat irritation/ lump feeling?

How is your food intake in these days? Are you taking normally? Do you exercise?

it seems like I cannot eat as much as i usually do I have a loss of appetite, which probably relates to why i randomly lost 10 pounds. I was 165 over the winter and I am 152 right now with clothes on. I have been skateboarding a lot(almost every day) and eating healthier foods rather than fast food, but I'm not sure I havent weighed myself frequently enough to know. I didnt exercise much today because I had work and work makes me tired, but today I was extra tired. What do you think?

Thrush is unlikely to cause much weight loss itself.
But recurrent infections, less food intake, exercise can be factors for weight loss.

what about the lump in throat sensation? it seems to be above my adam's apple. I can feel it when i breathe through my mouth and without swallowing. Is it possible this is from the cobblestoning?

In infection or inflammation,there can be swelling of the mucus membrane, lump feeling.
Anxiety, stress, reflux can also cause a lump feeling.

I am sort of panicking over this. I feel like if it's cancer and it goes undiagnosed it will be too late to cure. Should I calm down or is it reasonable for me to be this concerned?

I feel you should not worry about cancer.
Your ENT doctor has checked your throat already.
It will not develop so suddenly.

My ENT doctor only checked my throat from my mouth. He didn't use the scope

Still then, I am not concerned.
If there was any sign of cancer or any suspicion about it, he would certainly do the scope.

Well, my ENT doctor is notorious for being dismissive to patients. He rushed me out the door. My throat also was not bothering me at the time like it is now. The symptom returned recently, and all of these symptoms have been going on for about a month at this time. I only stopped smoking about a week ago

Hello Jared,
When symptoms returned/are worse, you will need repeat evaluation and change of treatment plan.
It is good that you have stopped smoking.
Please do not start again.
If you do not like the previous ENT doctor, you can consult another ENT specialist.

I'm sorry to keep you here but I am very concerned. I just visited the ENT doctor and my regular doctor yesterday, but the throat symptoms did not show up until last night

What did your regular doctor say?
When did you visit ENT?

i visited them both on thursday, ENT in the morning, and my normal doctor in the afternoon. I went skating and last night these symptoms came back. My regular doctor said he's unsure of what it it really is he thinks its just irritation, but in all both doctors shrugged it off and offered me no medication or anything

Then you need to take an examination by your regular doctor again.
However, you should not be concerned about cancer.

thank you for helping me relax, I am obsessive that it is cancer due to family history. Are there any foods I should eat? any foods i should avoid eating? anything i should pay attention to? I will contact my regular doctor tomorrow

You are always welcome.

Please try to take plenty of fresh vegetables, fruits. Avoid tea, coffee, alcohol & of course, smoking. Try to have regular exercise. I hope those will help you.

If you are satisfied, please leave an excellent rating.
Good luck.

is green tea okay? and should I stop using my e cigarette? the nicotine withdrawals cause my stress to affect my anxiety so it's kind of a tough situation

I would suggest to avoid e cigarette.
Please read this article.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/electronic-cigarettes/AN02025
You can take green tea but not in excessive.
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)