NURSE KAREN
NURSE KAREN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  REGISTERED NURSE WITH MANY AREAS OF CLINICAL EXPERTISE
67785362

I have a pain in my upper left rib cage. I saw my doctor yesterday

I have a pain in my upper left rib cage. I saw my doctor yesterday and he examined me. He pushed down on my lower ribs and it really bad. He said that i have what it called "floating rib syndrome". I am seeing a chiropractor tommorow. I also have a problem with my stools. They constantly change from stool to stool. This morning it was dark brown, this afternoon it was light brown, kinda like the color of honey? That has been happening alot lately, changing colors from stool to stool. Im also very gassy. Any reason to be concerned that i have something else wrong?

NURSE KAREN :

ALL INFORMATION IS GIVEN FOR EDUCATIONAL AND INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. PLEASE UNDERSTAND NO ONE CAN DIAGNOSE OR TREAT A MEDICAL CONDITION ONLINE.

NURSE KAREN :

THANKS FOR THE QUESTION.

NURSE KAREN :

Did you doctor do any other type of exam beside mashing on your belly? Blood work? Stool samples?

Customer:

I had blood work back in March on my pancreas and liver. Everything came back normal. No stool samples

NURSE KAREN :

Has this been bothering you since march?

Customer:

The pain? No. This just started a little less than a week

Customer:

stool inconsisty has been happening over the last few months. Ive noticed it since i started taking probiotics

NURSE KAREN :

What lead you to have blood work for you pancreas and liver? Changes in stool?

Customer:

I was worried something was wrong with me, so my doctor did blood work to try and ease my mind

NURSE KAREN :

ok. I see. The main side effect of probiotics is increased gas. The types of foods you eat can change the color of your stool at any given time. It may even be likely that the pain in the rib area is gas or gas pockets (trapped gas that doesn't move) this can actually cause severe pain in some people. Unless you develop additional symptoms, I doubt there is much to worry about. You could stop the probiotic for 4 weeks to see if you have an improvement in your symptoms. If you get any worse I would suggest seeing a GI doctor for possible stool samples and maybe even a scope to rule out any significant problems.

Customer:

I actually had colon and endoscopy in March as well

Customer:

everything came back normal

Customer:

I admit i have a problem of going on the internet too often and reading things. I have become very scared i have pancreatic cancer, even though im only 25 with no family history

NURSE KAREN :

Great! Then I certainly would not worry about this then, unless you develop any other symptoms. While it is always a good idea to be informed about your healthcare, you are right, we can scare ourselves sometimes! Try coming off the probiotic and see if you feel better. Sometimes these over-the-counter "healthy" medicines are not what we need at all. If you eat a balanced diet with high fiber count you should not need any medication for you bowels.

Customer:

ok thanks

Customer:

and i should stop worrying?

NURSE KAREN :

you are very welcome. hope you feel better! yes, stop worrying. Stress itself can make you sick. It is very doubtful you have any type of cancer, if you did some of these tests would have shown abnormal results.

Customer:

thanks so much

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Hope things are working out for you. Let me know if I can help you in the future!!

THANK YOU,
NURSE KAREN