Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

I have pain (burning, tightness). in my calves and ankles if

I have pain (burning, tightness). in my calves and ankles if I walk more than a half block. This has been a problem on and off since I was 17, I am now 47. The outside of my right calf is numb and sore to the touch. I have occasional shooting pains in both legs even when sitting. For the past 2 years my ring finger on my right hand has been going numb and just recently my thumb on the same hand has been doing the same. I especially notice it at night when I lay on my left side. I have been to a podiatrist and done physical therapy with electro shock treatment on the right calf. This did not help. Where should I look for help next?
Thank you for your question,
I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.
How frequently do you feel those symptoms?
Did you have any test for your symptoms?
Any X ray/ scan, blood tests?
Did you consult any other doctor?
When did you consult podiatrist? physiotherapist?
Did they help?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Leg pain and finger numbness every day since June 19 of this year. Saw the podiatrist June 24. Started pt July 3 and finished August 6. Had an x ray of right ankle. Negative. Blood work for diabetes which was in normal range.
Thank you Lisa, for the information,
I am sorry that you are suffering so long.
All those symptoms may not be related to a single cause.
The pain in the calf area since young age can be related to foot problems.
Foot abnormalities like flat foot, stretched tendon, muscle pull etc can be factors.
However, the numbness of fingers, calf or shooting pain in the legs can be related to nerve impulses.
It can be due to pinching of a nerve or its root any where in its course , in the spine or in the limb.
Sometimes it may come from abnormalities of blood supply of the leg.
The other common causes are low calcium or electrolytes, vitamins , thyroid diseases, diabetes, or other nerve diseases.
This may occur from degenerative disc disease , peripheral neuropathy, vasculitis, multiple sclerosis etc.
You have got tests for diabetes.
Thyroid levels can be checked too.
I would suggest to have an examination by a neurologist.
MRI spine and other test like electrolytes levels, nerve conduction test, EMG, doppler study can be taken.
Further treatment can be planned then.
I hope this information helps.
I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.
Please feel free for any follow up query.
Regards.