Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Can you interpret my mris of my lumbar spine and cervical

can you interpret my mris of my lumbar spine and cervical spine
lumbar spine and if surgery would help -- grade 1 spondylolisthesis seen at l5-s1. the conus is seen at l2. l4-l5, there is a disc bulge, facet oa and ligamentous thickening causing mild spinal canal stenosis. the lateral recesses and neural foramina are narrowed at this level. at l5-s1 there is facet oa and spondylolisthesis narrowing the neural foramina causing impingement on existing nerve roots. the other levels are unremarkable. note is made of small fatty filum terminale at l5-s1 level.
mri of cervical spine
c2-c3 level, there is osteophyte causing mild right-sided foraminal narrowing. c4-c5 level there is a small central disc herniation contacting the anterior aspect of the chord. the posterior csf column is preserved.
c5-c6 level, there is disc bulge and ligamentous thickening effacing the thecal and flattening the anterior aspect of the cord. bilateral foraminal narrowing is seen at this level due to osteophytes.
at c6-c7 level there is disc bulge and ligamentous thickening effacing the thecal sac and mild compressing the cord. marked bilateral foraminal narrowing is seen at this level due to osteophytes. thank you could you also give your opinion on weather surgery or other treatment would help
Hi--before I discuss this can I ask you what your symptoms are that prompted the MRI's?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi

i have back pain and pain done my right leg and some time down left leg. when i am on my feet to long my right leg gets numb and weak and feels like it is going to give out on me. i am also very clumsy. my co ordination is off sometimes the pain in my legs are down back of leg but also get it in upper front. As for my neck i have sore neck and pain in shoulders and in my upper back i have pin and needles in my fingers and pain also in my upper arms and they feel heavy and tired. i am also very fatique most of the time

OK--have you had any therapy at all for this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

in the past i have had physio and also i think nerve blocks the doctor used needles to inject somekind of stuff to freeze the nerves this was 3 yrs ago but i live in a different place now and cant get that done but going to see specialist here waiting for an appointment.

OK--just so you'll know I would have you first seen by a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a customized therapy program for three months before I would consider surgery but it may come to that for you. Spondylolisthesis is one vertabra moving slightly forward over another. Osteophytes are bone spurs--extra bone growth. I'm not too concerned about that. But the combination of the spondylolisthesis and the facet osteoarthritis (facets are were the vertabrae interlock with each other) at L5-S1 are pressing on nerve roots which is causing your leg problems. But the disk bulges and the ruptured disk in your neck are pressing on your spinal cord and that's causing the arm and hand symptoms and unless that can be treated conservatively you will have to have surgery to release the pressure before you have permanent disabilities in your arms and hands.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

could u tell me where i have the ruptured disc and bulgeing

The C4-C5 reference to herniation is a ruptured disk--that's in the lower third of your neck. Above and below that are the bulging disks