Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I am a bit embarressed about this. I'm trying to get over a…

Customer Question
Hi, I am a bit...
Hi, I am a bit embarressed about this.
I'm trying to get over a fear about rabies.
Every day is like exposure therapy for me, since even though I don't seek out danger there is still road kill on the road, and there are still bats outside, and I need to get to work so this is unavoidable.
There are bats that eat the insects outside of my house here in the suburbs.
I am told that they won't bother me. They come and go most nights over the field eating dragon flies. They are not in my house.
I am afraid to go outside at night since I am paranoid that one of them will drool on me while they are flying. I don't even know if they do that. I feel wet droplets whenever I am afraid of this, even when I am inside and a window is open at night. This is silly, there is no likely way bat drool is getting through a screen. Today I saw bats for the first time outside and felt droplets on me, like I do every time I have been afraid of them before. I was looking for droplets. I am pretty sure that was not an exposure, but I want to check.
I am also afraid of getting rabies from my car. There is so much roadkill on the streets. I obsessively check my car for any wet tissue from these dead animals. On rainy days this is bad since when I close my car door I freak out if I feel anything wet on me. This is because I can't tell if it is rain or bloody animal tissue. I know this is silly since, it is most likely always rain.
My question is this.
Should I ever be worried about bats flying overhead minding their own business?
I know if they bite me, then that would be an actual exposure, but I have no idea about when people find them in their natural habitat. I mean people take walks at night all the time. People study bats all the time, and all they need are the preventitive shots. The only time I hear of someone getting shots is if they are bit, or if they are reasonably expected to have been bit, or if the animal is acting strange.
Should I ever be worried about roadkill. I never hear of mechanics or tire technicians getting sick. I am afraid to put air in my tires.
I have had the rabies vaccine one year ago and thought I was over this fear. However I found out that it doesn't have 100% immunity afterwards, and if there is an actual exposure you need a booster. The problem is that I am worried about what constitutes an actual exposure. Since I am so worried I don't want unnecessary shots, since that would predispose me to compulsively want them again.
I am seeking help for the OCD.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Health
8/28/2013
Health Professional: Chris C., Nurse replied 5 years ago
Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
You should not be worried about the bats that fly around at night. There are all over the country and they come out at night to eat bugs that collect my street lights. There is no harm of rabies unless you get bitten my a bat and that is extremely rare. If you see a bat during the day near your home stay clear of it especially if it looks sick because they can carry rabies. But like I said the bat needs to actually bite you for you to get rabies. Also, running over roadkill even if it is infected will not cause you to get rabies. There needs to be a contact with your blood from an infected animal (a bite, scratch, etc). Just touching something a rabies infected animal has touched cannot cause you to get rabies. This is just anxiety related to your condition.
Were you able to read my reply?