Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Abby, I fell out of a cab last night and hit the back of my

Hi Dr. Abby, I fell out...
Hi Dr. Abby,
I fell out of a cab last night and hit the back of my head really hard on the concrete. Had a giant lump and iced it all night (slept with a towel full of ice). Lump is barely there now, just have soreness. I feel fine, just sore on the right side of my body and my head kind of hurts where I hit it. I have generalized anxiety disorder so I have been web md'ing myself and now am about to have a panic attach from reading all the things I see online about hitting your head. I have hit my head before pretty hard twice in my life (once on the forehead, I had a lump the size of a baseball) and once on the back of my head. Never went to doctor. Didn't think much about it but now I am so worried now from reading things online. I feel like crying and am so sweaty from worrying. Please help.
8/23/2013
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
HI, Thanks for your question. My name is***** and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.
Do you have any symptoms like nausea, vomiting, ringing in ears, dizziness, severe headache, confusion, disorientation etc?
How much improvement you have seen so far in your symptoms with advil?
What specific worries are in your mind?
Regards

No, my head just hurts where I hit it. The lump on my head is pretty much gone just feels bruised. iIs that normal

I am so afraid: I read a story about some lady dying from bleeding in the brain from hitting the side of her head. Supposedly she was fine and died the next day. I feel so worried I want to cry but can't since I'm at work, ha!

I took the advil for the body soreness ( also scraped my elbow, it was a bloody mess). I don't have any symptoms except for my head feeling bruised from where I hit it. I have a phobia of doctors, anything medical. Getting blood drawn drives me to hysterics. I would not be a patient you wanted to deal with, with my anxiety levels :)

I am shaking from how worried I am.

XXXX thanks a lot for your input. First of all i would like to reassure you that you are not the patient i would ever want to avoid :) so just don't worry. I am sorry to hear about your accident. It is true that complications can arise from head injury later in the course of illness and might not show immediately but there have to be symptoms associated with these complications which you don't have so far. Severe headache, confusion, nausea, vomiting, dizziness etc are the usual symptoms of these complications. You should keep yourself under observation for these symptoms and if you develop anyone of them, only in that case you should go to ER. This is one aspect of my answer and advice but in my opinion so far nothing is suggestive of a complication in your case and in these cases Tylenol thrice daily is usually what i advise to my patients. Icing at the site of trauma is also good. Advil should be avoided in such cases because it increases the chances of bleeding. To conclude i would suggest you not to stress yourself and just follow my advise, you will be fine soon. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Thank you, ***** ***** still feel so worried but will keep everything you said in mind. Could you verify that the lump going away overnight is normal? I think I feel dizzy but that's probably from my anxiety. I start to feel the symptoms I think. Uggh.

You are most welcome. Yes the lump going overnight is normal and a positive sign. Yes anxiety does play a role but i suggest you to relax and i am quite hopeful that you will better soon. Just don't stress yourself. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

No reply in your post, anything you want to ask? Please feel free, i am here to help you till you want. Regards

Sorry, I am just so worried. I feel like I am dazed but that is my anxiety right? My bf said I hit the concrete very hard. He was worried until this morning. The lump not being there stressed me out because I start thinking the lump is inside bleeding. Ugggh! Just reassure me please that feeling bruised on my head is fine. Thank you!

Thanks for your input. I reassure you that a lump that has disappeared is actually a good sign. That doesn't mean that it has bled inside. This simply means that the blood collection was under the skin and now it has resolved. In case of any problem the lump should either have persisted or should have increased in size. Feeling bruised is definitely due to the trauma and will go away in next few days. Regards

hi doctor, woke up fine but feel sore and preasure where i hit my head. feel dazed but i alao have been laying down since 3 yesterday. is that normal? i didnt eat anything til this am.

Hi thanks for your input. If you don't have the symptoms I asked for yesterday, you don't need to worry about anything serious. Just keep taking Tylenol and you will be better. Keep yourself under observation for the symptoms I mentioned. Regards

so pressure is fine? sorry

it can happen. Pressure alone is not significant in the absence of other symptoms. Regards

Hi Dr. Hasan,

I survived the weekend. I slept a lot over the weekend and iced my head. Driving here today I feel very dazed. Not confused or anything. Is this normal? I would guess it's because I have been worried and laying down for 2 and half days. I am not as anxiety ridden but still want to make sure feeling slightly dazed is normal. I just can't shake the out of it feeling. Even with coffee.

HI, Are you feeling like everything is spinning around you? Regards

No, just dazed. I don't feel dizzy.

Thanks for your input. This can be due mild concussion. Nothing to worry.you will be ok in few days. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

I went to urgent care on Friday and he said I was fine too. But I don't feel dazed at home. Only when I walk around or am moving around a lot. Uggh. Thank you.

You are most welcome. You are doing well and i know you will be fine soon. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Sorry, went to urgent care on Sunday morning because I was making myself crazy. He did not recommend a scan, he said I was fine over and over. I didn't feel dazed until driving today but the urgent care was also around the corner from me. How long do you think I will feel this way? I don't feel confused or dizzy, just out of it is there anything I can do to make this go away? sorry for all the questions. Promise this is the last post! :)

You can ask anything you want, you are most welcome. This feeling can take a week to go away but this doesn't indicates anything serious. You just need to take rest whenever possible. Other than this nothing much is required. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

I also was so sleep yesterday. Woke up at 6am, took a nap from noon to almost two and back to bed at 8. I don't normally sleep that much. I am guessing that is normal too?

after such injuries, one can sleep a bit more. But since you wake up fine, nothing to worry. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Thank you. I just want to feel better and it makes me feel like crying from how scary a head injury can be. My head is still sore when I touch it and I didn't realize how dazed I would feel coming to work. At home, I felt much better. I really appreciate your help.

You are most welcome. Please remember to rate my services, regards.

I feel slightly less dazed (20% less) but very tired and sleepy at work. Normal? :)

I completely forgot to say this at the very first question but I was slightly drunk when this happened. My boyfriend kept waking me up throughout the night asking me questions and he said I was fine. Would that make a difference? Again, the doctor seemed to say I was fine but he didn't scan my head. He said I would have had symptoms that morning still even if I was completely drunk.

The doctor gave me Xanax, I had a mild anxiety attack thinking I am bleeding from the brain while in his office. I couldn't stop crying. Geez.

Hi, no this does not matter at all. Regards
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

Thank you! My coworkers said I seemed out of it this morning. Great! I can only pray this will go away a bit by bit throughout the week.

Is it okay to use a computer all day?

Hi sorry for the delay because of being offline. Yes it's ok to use the computer. My best wishes are with you, you will be fine soon :)

Good Morning! The dazed feeling is 90% gone. Yay! :) But now I have a mild headache. I took some Tylenol which seemed to relieve it. Is this normal to get headaches after? I want to make sure I am not ignoring signs. My anxiety is keeping me from having a full night of sleep so I don't know if this is making my recovery worse. Is Tylenol PM okay to take? I just want to feel 100% better....

Hi, thanks for your input. I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better. Yes that is normal to get such mild headaches thereafter so just relax and don't stress yourself. Keep yourself busy. You are not ignoring anything rather you are taking good care of yourself. Tylenol pm is ok to take. Regards

If I didn't have headaches at until today (from when I hit my head Thursday), that is still normal? I had it this morning, went away for a bit and now it's back. Tingly, dull headache where I hit my head. Sorry for all the questions.

You are always welcome for your new questions. Yes the headache can come and go and it's perfectly normal. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Good Morning! No headache this morning but still feel about 10% dazed when I wake up and start getting ready. Not dizzy, just kind of cloudy, as if I didn't get good sleep when I actually did. I walk around feeling slightly tired and spacey. Yesterday it went away around 10am and felt great except for the mild headache. Is this normal? How long should I expect this? Does it range?

Also, I made an appointment for tomorrow to get back on anxiety medicine. I am thinking my anxiety is making my symptoms worse. Please let me know if anxiety would make this worse? :(

Thanks for your input. Yes there is nothing to worry because your symptoms are not progressing and they just come and go. Yes i personally believe that your anxiety is bothering you. You will be fine :) Regards

It's just so strange to be so cloudy until about 10:30am and then feel wide awake. My bf seems to think these symptoms should be gone by now?

Ideally yes your symptoms should be gone by now but in cases of mild concussion the symptoms like this can take few weeks sometime. No specific treatment is required for these symptoms, i assure you. There is nothing to be worried. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

So just to reiterate, there is nothing I should have done differently? The Urgent Care doctor did not think anything was wrong, just that it could be one to two weeks of my head feeling better. I also did not have the dazed feeling until I came back to work. There is nothing I should be doing now for my head except get on some anxiety meds?

Definitely yes to all of your questions. You are fine and will be perfect soon. Getting anxiety medicines should be your priority. Just relax, I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Hi Dr.

Thought you got rid of me:) Went to the doctor yesterday. She did some physical tests on me (no CT scan) and said I have light symptoms of a mild concussion. I made her promise me that I am not bleeding in my brain and she assured me I am not. She gave me a prescription for Prozac, 10Mg. I feel better today, just kind of cracked out from the Prozac I guess. Would that be normal? Can you assure me that I don't need a CT scan? It's been a week since I hit my head.

I never got rid of you. I always gave you best advise and you remember I mentioned mild concussion.yes you can feel like this Prozac. You are doing fine and after one week you are fine I give you my words that you need ct scan. Do you believe :)

You are giving me your word that I DON'T need a CT scan right? :) I believe you and the other two doctors I guess, but the internet scares me with it's stories about how people are bleeding from the brain and don't know it..ughh! The doctor said she would tell me definitely if I needed one. I want to believe :) My anxiety makes me think of the worst.

I give you words. Your anxiety is making you feel worse otherwise you are going to be fine. Stop reading articles on Internet. They are just stories. This is beauty of just answer that here you can talk to live doctor and live doctor is assuring you :) please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Thank you! My head is slightly bruised but no where near how it was and I still feel about 10% off :) The Prozac is making me wired so that is probably some of it too. Thanks so much for your help! I will be back If I need anything!

It will take few more days or couple of weeks till you feel 100%. Till the just relax. Prozac takes sometime to start acting. Sure I will be here to help you always, please remember to rate my services as per your level of satisfaction. Regards

I hope the mild headache (not really a headache as it doesn't hurt, just weird pressure feeling) goes away. I get it about twice a day, very mild.

Also, when can I go back to my daily activities such as working out? I haven't been since I am trying to rest. Also, alcohol? I would assume I shouldn't be doing anything until I feel 100% myself. Not that I feel like drinking at all. I just want to make sure.

i, I am sorry for the delay because of being offline. Yes mild headaches are not a problem. You can continue with your workouts.No to alcohol. Just eat healthy food and observe bed rest as much as possible. Regards

I stopped the prozac after three days. had major panic attacks at night. felt terrible fri night and sat night. will ask doc for zoloft.

my body tells me im hungry, but i have no desire in food.

could this be the anxiety and / or the concussion?

i have not slept well but feel better.

Hi, I am so sorry to hear about this. What you have described is typical anxiety.its not concussion. You have tightly contacted your doctor for change of drug. But don't worry you will come out of it very soon. Regards

One more question that my anxiety can't stop: What are my chances of getting a blood clot? Uggh, I know...I'm insane. I would know right away, right??

FYI, I feel 98% better today :) Got some sleep without a panic attack just a mild headache last night and some mild anxiety this morning.

That's good to know that you are feeling so better. Your chances of getting blood clot is zero percent in my opinion because you don't have any risk factor for that. Regards

Zero percent sounds good :) I would know by now if something was terribly wrong, right? I just get twinges on my head but those are subsiding and the mild aches.

My anxiety is almost gone away, almost :). I appreciate your help and really appreciate you answering all my questions this week and half. You have helped tremendously.

You are more than welcome. Don't worry you will be perfect very soon.

Woke up at 4 thirty am with anxiety. I don't feel as good as I did yesterday. Sleepy and a little more dazed. I thought I was really recovering yesterday. My head tingles where I hit my head. Is this normal? Is working okay? I am afraid I am never going to be 100%

Can taking Prozac for three days (10mg) still have effects after? I feel like that set me back a bit.

that's ok, there can be up and down so don't worry it may take sometime to get 100%. Prozac for three days can't harm you much. You are in recovery process and will be fine soon. Regards

I feel better now. I just felt so good yesterday, all day, except for a mild headache last night. How long do you think this up and down can last? It's going on two weeks since I hit my head (tomorrow) and this Monday coming up is when I started with the mild concussion symptom (of being dazed). I want to be a hundred percent by next week uggh!

I wish you good luck for that and i am hopeful that you will be better soon.

How long do you think this will take? Thank you for being there :)

It may take couple of weeks but can't give you a confirmed time limit. Non can give this time limit but so far as you are getting well i hope within couple of weeks, you would be better. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Could waking up with anxiety at 4 thirty am effect how I feel the first few hours of the day? I keep hoping I wake up and feel 100%.

No it doesn't matter.

Hi Doctor,

feeling better after the weekend. Had major anxiety Fri night and Sat afternoon and then calmed down. I want you to reassure me I don't have a blood clot. I have now refrained from googling for two days now. The last story I read though was Hillary Clinton had a blood clot. They gave her medicine and she was fine. Now she is way older then me so.....my chances are still 0% right? :)

Thanks for your input. I don't have a single symptom in your case to suspect blood clot. I guarantee you 100% that there is nothing dangerous like a clot in your case and you are just overdressing yourself. Your feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.

Would I already have figured that out? My doctor said if I was older, on blood thinners and had a history of blood clots then she would be concerned...is this correct?

I am going to stop writing you now. This is my last question :)

Definitely yes to all your queries. You don't have any risk factor and that too makes you not likely to get any blood clot. You are always welcome from my side. Your feedback and rating is requested for the assistance so far, regards.

Thanks! I still have an achy feeling in my head for a few minutes at a time (not really a headache) about twice a day and then fuzziness when I am on the computer at work at end of day. I pray I feel 100% soon. Thanks for your reassurance.

You are most welcome. Slight fuzziness may take someone but it doesn't indicate anything serious. Regards

My doctor said if I'm obsessing I should do the CT scan. But then I will probably be obsessed over the radiation. I have decided my anxiety is the number one thing to take care of now. I can't decipher what is a mild concussion and what is anxiety. I woke up having a heart attack last night.

in that case get the CT scan done because anxiety is mother of all illnesses.

ive decided not to. i will obsess later over tje radiation. going to see a therapist first.

In either cases, decision is yours because CT scan will be normal, i can tell you now. Regards
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor