Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Body temperature: Normal temp is 98.0, but morning temp is

96.4. This is new. Is...
Body temperature: Normal temp is 98.0, but morning temp is 96.4. This is new. Is this normal or should I see a doctor about it.
8/20/2013
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Any recent infection?
Frequent urination?
Chills?
Weight changes?
Duration of symptoms?
Any other associated symptoms?
Are you taking any medicines?
Any other medical illness?
Thanks dear.

No known infections or chills.

The low temp lasts around 2 hours then goes up to around 97.7 for most of the day. I take Gabapentin & Advil for fibromyalgia for around 6 months now. Only other changes I know of are that my usually low blood pressure is lower than ever, dropped from my normal of 120/90 to 90/60, and pretty much stays there all day. And I just had a contrast mri for thoracic spine pain that doesn't look good, but I don't have the radiologist report yet.

Thanks for providing additional information.
I understand your concern and it's my pleasure to help you in every aspect.
For an adult, a core temperature of 95 degrees or lower indicates hypothermia, which is a dangerous condition.
If you are feeling okay, it's more likely that your thermometer isn't exactly accurate.
So you shouldn't worry about such readings if you have no associated infection,chills recently.
However if your body temperature always lowers than 96 degree F then the other classic situation for low body temperature without acute illness is hypothyroidism.
If this is suspected, thyroid studies should be done.
Take proper rest and hydrate yourself with liquids.
Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

I used 2 thermometers and they both gave the same reading, so the temp is accurate. My general practitioner did several blood tests last month and found no obvious infection or thyriod problem. However, my most recent spine mri appears to show lesions and maybe evidence of myelopathy. This was based on a couple of md's looking at it over the weekend, even as we still wait for the final radiologist report. Could such a diagnosis affect my body temp or blood pressure?

Thanks for the follow-up.
Such 96.4 degree F body temperature is not a worrisome as it's not too low to cause any serious medical illness.
Certain conditions that can cause low body temperature.
Alcoholism and drug abuse
Hypothyroidism
Adrenal disorders
Certain brain tumor
Spinal cord injuries
Diabetes
Parkinsonism
Pituitary disorders
Sepsis and infections.
Some people naturally run low body temperature.
So as you have spine relate issues so it can be a contributing factor in your low body temperature.
Also Gabapentin can cause low blood pressure if you have such low blood pressure after starting Gabapentin.
It's good to consult your doctor and discuss the underlying possible cause.
Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician