Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I'm a 29 year old caucasian female. Many times thoughout the

week I get quick pulsations...
I'm a 29 year old caucasian female. Many times thoughout the week I get quick pulsations in the left left of my head. It sort of feels like blood is pushing through my brain. It's always in the same place. It doesn't hurts its just a weird sensation. Should I see a doctor and what are the possible causes. Seems like I've just started noticing it within the last 6 mos.
I'm healthy and eat a very clean diet. I do travel a lot for work and have a stressful job. I exercise intensely 2 a week with weights and mountain bike 1-2 days a week.
My grandmother died of a brain aneurysm when she was around 60. My father has high blood pressure. Mine is always very low.
Thank you!
8/18/2013
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)

Hello Stephanie ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Are you stressed or anxious?
Is it a muscle twitching, which you feel like pulsation?
Do you have dizziness, nausea, headache?
Any significant past medical history or surgery?

Hi Dr Arun,
Generally when it happens I'm working and probably stressed and don't realize it. This am it happened upon waking.
I have had a light headache a few times this week and on Thursday the pulsating was super intense while at my desk and very stressed out. It was quick and only lasted 20 seconds at the most but I felt a little off afterwards. It's just a very odd feeling and it's always the same place. I'm sure it's nothing but don't know if I should see a doctor and if I should where to start. I never get sick and haven't seen a doctor other than my Gynocologist Igor dermatologist in probably 5 years.
I don't really see anything upon researching that describes the way this feels when it happens. It's not painful just like pulsing inside my head.
Thank you
Hello Stephanie,

Let me at the outset tell you that this may not be anything significant. Stress, anxiety, overwork may be the underlying factor. Your recent headaches too are likely to be tension headache. A tension headache is a headache caused by tense muscles in the face, neck, or scalp. These headaches give a feeling of tightness around the head. The neck muscles can also become sore and tight. Tension headaches can be caused by staying in one position for a long time, such as reading, playing video games or using a computer for long duration. Your family history of brain aneurysm may be playing some role in the back of your mind and may likely be the predisposing factor for your symptoms. The symptoms of brain aneurysm are;

Headache
Facial pain
Seizures
Nausea
Vomiting
Neck pain or stiffness,
Fear with light (photophobia),
Fear due to sound (sonophobia).

Since you do not have these symptoms, brain aneurysm is not suspected. Having said that; there are recent recommendations that people who have Family History (first degree relative) of brain aneursym should have screening like magnetic resonance arteriography (MRA) for the cautionary reason. The incidence of detection of brain aneurysm by this screening is one in one thousand. But since aneursym can have serious consequences, so it is worth the cost and time. Please read this resource for the screening:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/191618.php

So you can discuss this with your doctor. On one side you would be able to rule out the aneurysm and secondly you would be able to relax. Thus if this is playing in your mind and causing subconscious anxiety; that would be removed.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)