Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

My 8 year old daughter has a 102.2 temp taken under armpit.

my 8 year old daughter has a 102.2 temp taken under armpit. We just gave her advil for kids. How should we monitor this and when take to a hospital?
Hi--how long has she been sick and does she have any other symptoms besides the fever?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

woke up in middle of night saying stomach did not feel good, then maybe 8 this morning threw up a little. Not many other symptons besides that, just the fever not making her feel great

Tell me more about the stomach--any actual abdominal pain?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, right now pretty quiet, think it was more just that upset nauseous feeling she had

OK. Well, it could be just the early onset of the flu and with any fever it's not so important whether you can get it down to a normal temperature as it is to keep up with the evaporative fluid loss with plenty of liquids. So long as she can eat and drink, this can be waited out. That said, any headache, severe abdominal pain, neck stiffness, or her not being able to eat and drink are reasons to have her seen by a doctor