Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

How can i prevent my swollen ankles, its a side effect of

Customer Question

how can i prevent my swollen ankles, its a side effect of only 2 mg a day of doxazosin, to help treat my bph and hypertension , please help
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--how long have you been on the doxazocin and is that the only medication you've had for what I assume is high blood pressure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Norvasc 10 mg at morning and losartan 100 mg and doxazosin at night all of them once a day

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK but how long have you been on the doxazosin and did the ankle problem begin with your starting that?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes ...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--then have you asked your doctor about switching the medication? Have you asked him about your ankle swelling?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am already beyond that, doxazosin is the only medication that helps me sort of to control my bladder without the the many other side effects that Flomax has, the only thing that annoys me very much is the fact that it causes my ankle to get swollen, interfering with my walking, exercising etc, please advise me what to do without changing the doxazosin ..so it will prevent from swelling, thank you

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Well, I still need some more information first--have your tried a diuretic and limiting your salt intake?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes, i do not eat salty stuff at all, by nature i hate salty stuff with passion ,as far as diuretics i was on micardis hct 80/12.5 for a while,

and i had a terrible experience of not being able to control my bladder so i begged my dr to give something without hct , which i am taking now and i need your help to advise me what to take or to do against swollen ankles(( thank you

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--sorry for all the questions here. Are your ankles swollen in the morning before you get out of bed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes it is

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Have you had vascular studies like a venous Doppler flow study of the leg veins?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, it only started together with the doxazosin and Norvasc, why would it be vascular issue, all i need is a med to keep the swelling down

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Well the reason I asked was just to make sure it was the medication and not something like incompetent venous valves in your legs. Just one last question--you couldn't tolerate diuretics--fluid pills of any type?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

correct because my prostate are enlarged and the diuretics causes frequent urination on top of my bph condition ((

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay but the question was somehow switched to a category where I couldn't respond. If you can't tolerate diuretics then the only suggestion I have is to get a leg compression hydraulic stockings device to wear at night and then have fitted elastic toe-to-hip stockings to wear during the daytime. Unfortunately, except for diuretics, there are no other medications for leg edema.