Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

NURSE MILLI ONLY-: I just got the shot in my shoulder

NURSE MILLI ONLY-: I just got...
NURSE MILLI ONLY-:
I just got the shot in my shoulder yesterday....
8/17/2013
Camille-Moderator
Camille-Moderator, Category Moderator

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Unfortunately I do not know when this may be, as the professionals come on line as they are available. You don't have to stand by, you will get an email telling you when you have received a response. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Camille

I would like to wait for Nurse
Milli.
Thank you.
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)

Hi there! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. So, you had an injection on Thursday? How does that shoulder feel today? Usually after a day or two, the injecton will be fully therapeutic. Arthroscopic shoulder surgery is done by making very small incisions in the shoulder region, inserting a small camera to visualize the area o concern and then determining if an area(s) needs 'cleaned up' or repaired. The procedure takes less than an hour in most cases and recovery time is anywhere from one week to several weeks (depending on what all had to be done). Did your Dr tell you what all needed to be done to the shoulder? (did they mention if something needed repaired or removed?)

At this point in time, no.

Until he does the other X-Ray and an MRI, he will not know:

(1) Whether i need the surgry or not(but i suspect i WILL :( ;

and

(2) What EXACTLY is "wrong" to fix....

In the meantime--ice/

I DO feel better, but pain is "muted"-- Thanx, Nurse Milli!!!!

Ok, so this will be a 'wait and see' if things improve or not and to what degree then proceed with more diagnostics then possibly surgery. I understand. Yes, in this phase/stage, the injections will 'mute' the discomfort and the home treatments will help as well. If ice seems to help with the inflammation, you might benefit from a product called Biofreeze. You just apply it to the skin like you would Icy Hot. I'm not sure why it works better than Icy Hot but it does. This is 'out there' but you may benefit from some Physical or Occupational Therapy. Sometimes a very small amount of strength training helps the muscles to be more supportive of an area and this will in turn decrease pain. However, this will greatly depend on what the Dr thinks is going on. (PT/OT is not always suggested in some cases)....but might be worth a try. Also, seeing a massage therapist might help also. If you had some work done on the neck, shoulder and upper back area, you might benefit a great deal from this also. Let me know what you think. Hope you are having a wonderful Saturday by the way.

GREAT Advice, as always, Nurse Milli!!!!

No PT has been suggested, but i sure like the idea of a massage!!!! Is there anything SPECIFIC i should tell the massage therapist (assuming i FIND one!!)before he/she begins the massage, so it won't hurt me?

Thanx!!

You are so welcome!! Just give the massage therapist a little background of what is going on. Just basically let them start working on you and only let him/her massage as it feels good. (I wouldn't go for any 'deep' massages). Basically, just let comfort be your guide.
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)

I got the Biofreeze (store brand; same amount of menthol)--

How do you use it? Just slather it on?

Thanx!

Hi there! Glad to hear you picked up some Biofreeze.

Yes, you can apply it liberally and allow it at least 30 minutes to reach it's maximum 'cooling'. In the meantime, don't apply any heating pads or other devices to that area in which you are using the Biofreeze. I do think you will like it. :)

Thanx--i will let you know how it goes; 'will be using it before bed tonight.

I have another question in the meantime, as long as you are 'on:"

The shoulder shot helped SOME, but oral diclofenac(Voltaren) is helping more: i take 2 a day.

What does this "tell" me about my condition (that the pills help more than the shot0if anything??

Again--my deepest thanx--Hope things are going well for you (you sound like a very upbeat person ANYWAY--)!!

I think you will like the Biofreeze.

Don't cringe when I tell you this but sometimes the medication that goes into your shoulder does not reach the area that it needs to reach. So, some will 'get there' but some will not. If the MD 'hits the spot' so to speak, then it will be very beneficial but by him/her hitting the spot 'exactly' would be like playing darts (ouch! -I know that sounds bad)...but you get my point. So, while the injection works to some degree, the anti-inflammatory medication will be systemic and will help the area in ways the the injection cannot reach. Make sense?

Yes, I am a very upbeat person. I am always on the go and love to help all of my patients...whether online or in person! :)

Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
The Biofreeze helped initially, but wore off, or seemed to wear off, by Bedtime: Do you think I put it on too soon?. Also, I don't think my husband likes the smell of menthol, And I was trying to avoid a problem with that!
Do you think the store brand is not as good as the brand name?
Thanks ever so much,
Madeleine
Good morning! The store brand won't work as well as the brand name. I've heard several say they tried the store brand and it didn't pack quiet the punch that the brand name did. (sounds like it didn't last as long either). The brand name doesn't really have a strong menthol smell at all. I would describe it as more of a 'minty' smell that evaporates fairly quickly.
If you want the full effects, I'd get the brand name, put it on around 10 minutes before bedtime and then relax. It will seem very cold the first 15 minutes but will ease off as you go to sleep.
Sorry about that menthol smell! I had no idea the store brand would have that issue. I don't think I'd care for that either.

Thanx, Nurse Milli--i guess it is back to the Drugstore!!

Does it get on your nightshirt, or is it more quickly absorbed?

Today is 3 days after my epidural for my back--LEG hurts--this is to be expected, right? (Stenosis, disc bulge: issues it is s'pozed to address)?

Thanx for all of the EXCELENT advice! I wish you were here to massage the Biofreeze IN...i suspect that that is 3/4 of how it actually WORKS!!!!

~M~

Sorry about that delay there....I was in a dreadfully long meeting :)

The BioFreeze can get on the sleepwear if you don't allow it dry for a few minutes before getting dressed....and you are correct, the more it is massaged in, the less messy it will be on the clothing (and the massage will feel pretty darn good too!). The leg pain from having a bulging disk/or spinal stenosis is what we call radiculopathy and it certainly can happen with that condition. The nerves run down the leg(s) and can definitely be effected. Now, if you've never had leg pain until AFTER the injection, that might be something you will want to share with the Physician who did the injection. But just having the leg pain itself can be expected with stenosis or HNP (bulging discs). I would tell you that I am a good massage therapist but I'm not totally sure I am. My husband is constantly asking me to rub his back and shoulders so maybe he's desparate or who knows? :) Hope you are having a good Friday other than that dreaded leg pain.

Hi!!
I did not get to the store today, so I guess I will try the store brand for a bit longer. :(. ......and I will wait 'till 10 mins. before getting INto the bed.....'will let you know if the name brand works better as soon as I can GET some!
Yes, that was "old" leg pain I spoke to you of....and that is what I am hoping the epidural will address.
I too am upbeat,but with all of THIS going on,plus a cough which has returned;seasonal??),it sure is getting harder and harder to BE.
I celebrate the Jewish New Year,and on the off chance that you do too,may I be the 1st to wish you a Happy New Year!
~M~

Hi there! I'm relieved to know that this 'leg pain' is not new (and not caused by the injection). While I don't wish for your leg to hurt at all, I AM glad it's not a new issue. But back to the leg, the epidural should indeed help with the pain (as long as the medication being injected 'hits the spot' as we talked about earlier).

And yes, let me know how the store brand biofreeze works tonight.

You know, I was wished a Happy New Year today and thought the person wishing it had been at work too long. How funny and how insensitive of me (all at the same time). I should have known better! I typically don't celebrate it, but I will celebrate it with YOU! :)

Hi, Nurse Milli-:

I got the brand today, and shall apply it as directed tonight; wish me luck!!

Your Compliant

Madeleine

Good luck Ms Madeleine! Let me know how it goes!
Thinking of you this morning. Hope you slept well last night.
Hi, Nurse Milli-:
Thank you for your AM message and concern ;)
The Biofreeze was most helpful, and would you believe the directions say you needn't rub it IN???? Poppycock!!
I liked it so much that I put more on this morning;)
What does it mean, tho' when you hear kind of crunching sounds when you move your arm? That CAN'T be good!!
Wish you were here,
~Madeleine~
Hi there! I'm so glad the Biofreeze worked for you! I had hoped it did. The 'popping' you hear is what we call 'crepitus'. Crepitus is the sound of two bony prominences rubbing together usually caused by osteoarthritis or other degenerative condition. Crepitus can also be caused by bursitis.
I think rubbing in the Biofreeze will help it absorb better (I think). So go ahead and rub away! :)
Hope you're having a great Labor Day!!
I just put some more on!!!Do you think there is any danger if I apply it new often than 4X a day if I feel like it?I think "crepitus" was used one time when I saw ortho, so once again, you are right on target, Nurse Milli!!Thank you so very much for all of your wonderfully useful advice.I hope you are relaxing up for your week ahead.Your friend (at least, you FEEL like my friend now),MadeleineP.S. does crepitus come from decrepit?
We ARE friends! :) I enjoy chatting with you; you seem like a very sweet person. We've been chatting for a while now!
I probably wouldn't use the Biofreeze more often than 4 times per day (simply because that's what the manufacturer recommends). Most likely it would cause some minor skin irritation more than anything.
I'm not sure if decrepit is derived from crepitus or not but it sounds like it might go together :)

Ok, i won't use it TOO much--

By the way, i keep trying to get you paid at the top of this page, and it keeps saying that They are having a prob on the Site.....so i guess i will have to actually close this to get you paid, and start a new thread.

Thank you for sticking with me....i ALWAYS have questions, and you ALWAYS seem to have GOOD answers!!

~M~

P.S. I like the other photo of you better--more ACCURATE,

Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)