Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

My wife and I are in our 2nd week here in the Bahamas; we are

My wife and I are in our 2nd week here in the Bahamas; we are enjoying our 10th anniversary. This is our 9th time here for we have a time share and purchased such on our honeymoon 10 years ago. I am overall in fine shape for my 53 years - I lift small weights each day at home, weigh 140, 6 ft tall have no health problems and at this time I am on no medications.

Why I am asking your advice involves the following: For the last 2 days a slight pain located about 2 inches below my left chest nipple has occurred. This is to close to the heart area and this is the sole reason why I am asking for most of my older male relatives had heart problems in the late 50's plus. Such as my dad. Overall I have been having a bit too much fun playing Beach Volleyball for the past 7 days, I eased of a good bit today noticing the slight pains starting as of early yesterday. I eased of a bit today.

What really looks to be the problem is likely one of the 3 following causes: 1) this is a sprain due to excessive volleyball stretching. 2) One of my meals 2 days ago involved a very spicy Bahamian rice - like Cajun foods. 3) This could be a sign of a cardiac problem.

I have been taking 2 aspirins each 4 hrs the last 2 days and overall no major suffering it would be extremely hard here in the bahamas to see a doctor which my limited insurance would help pay for. It appears to me to be more a case of a strain or strain + spicy foods. Your help would be greatly appreciated. For any simple tips I would be most thankful.
Associated shortness of breath?
Heaviness and tightness in chest?
Pain in left arm?
History of Diabetes,Hypertension,etc?
May you check your blood pressure and pulse?
Heartburn,nausea?
Vomiting?
Pain in chest during deep breathing?
Is pain continuous throughout the day?
Sweating?
Dizziness?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you greatly for your help towards this. Overall these past two days I have been fine. None of you above concerns have occurred in any know manor. Neither myself or any family members have diabetes or hypertension. Each question would be no, no etc. except in the area of constant pain, which has always only been minor and sometimes as with my slowing down this morning almost going away. I just feels more and more like some type of a muscle stain. I just want to play it safe here, and truly appreciate you help here.

Thanks for providing more information.
As you describe, most possible causes of your symptoms may include Gastritis,Muscloskeletal pain due to over muscular exertion.
However third cause which always need to be ruled out in any sort of chest pain may include Ischemic heart disease.
Even heart attack can be silent with no chest pain and other associated symptoms.
And EKG is essential to diagnose it.
Now as per your current symptoms,you should firstly avoid spicy food,fried food,alcohol,carbonated beverages,caffeine,smoking.
Also take OTC Prilosec/Zantac.
Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.
Avoid any physical strenuous activity for a while.
Take OTC Tylenol.
Do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment and apply warm compresses with a heating pad on affected area.
Take proper rest.
And if your pain'll persist or you develop other associated symptoms like shortness of breath,heaviness in chest then it's good to visit ER ASAP.
If you are unable to get any medicines over the counter then it's strongly advised to visit ER and EKG must be done in your case.

I hope this helps.
If you have any further query then feel free to ask.
Positive feedback and bonus are highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please forgive my Bahamian web access for it continously cuts off. In regards XXXXX XXXXX questions I would reply no to all except the continous pain which is only mild.
It has last nearly 2 days however. I must ask if the muscle tissue near this let chest nipple could be subject to strain from repeat rapid upward movement from my left arm thank you for your help!

Sorry for late reply and inconvenience.

Muscle strain can be a possible cause.

And you should take other self care measures like

Take OTC Prilosec/Zantac.
Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.
Take OTC Tylenol.
Take proper rest.

Otherwise it's good to visit ER for proper evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.
Thank you.