Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Hello, I was just diagnosed with a bacterial parotitis infection,

Hello, I was just diagnosed with a bacterial parotitis infection, after experiencing increasing swelling just beneath my jawline for the last week or so. As of today, I have officially begun taking an antibiotic, and while my doctor expects to see the infection clear in the next few days, I am concerned about returning to my work environment. I work in a grocery store, where any form of illness is taken quite seriously, and while I work mainly in the office and am not on the sales floor very often, I want to make sure that I will not be a health hazard to my co-workers or our customers. Am I a risk?

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Have you started taking the antibiotics?

Customer:

Hello, thanks for your time. I took the first one today, at around 5 PM.. forgive the spelling but it's called amoxycillin, I think.

Dr Brims :

Okay, as long as you have started taking the antibiotics then you are not a health hazard

Customer:

May I ask you another question?

Dr Brims :

If it is related to this same topic, yes

Customer:

It is, yes. I don't get sick often, so it's pretty unusual for me to have something like this. Is it normal to feel pretty bad with something like this? I haven't been feeling "traditional" sick like I would with a cold.. but I still feel sick, if that makes sense.

Dr Brims :

It is normal to feel bad with this infection, I don't think you have anything to worry about

Customer:

Okay.. my final question for you is this: should I be concerned about any potential underlying causes to this issue? Like a precursor for any possible health issues in the future?

Dr Brims :

No, you should not be worried about any future problems related to this issue

Customer:

Okay. I appreciate the advice, and will give you positive feedback for your time. Thank you!

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have any questions in the future you may request me

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX that in mind if/when I get sick again :) Have a good night!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I would just like to follow up and let you know that I was actually re-diagnosed with "cat scratch fever" or "cat scratch disease" caused by the bacteria bartonella, after a follow up visit with my physician and some blood work.
My most prevalent symptom has been what Wikipedia describes as "Parinaud's oculoglandular syndrome, granulomatous conjunctivitis with concurrent swelling of the lymph node near the ear", which is likely why the initial diagnosis of parotitis was given.
It still hasn't fully gone away, but I'm on a new antibiotic regiment which seems to be doing a better job than the first.

Thanks for following up! I'm happy it is getting better , I hope it resolves completely soon