911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

I started showing symptoms of numbness on my left side of

Customer Question

I started showing symptoms of numbness on my left side of face and arm back in March they thought I was having a stroke but X-rays and tests said normal, now for the past month I've had pain behind my left eye that worsens when I bend over cough sneeze laugh and a dull pain constant pain on left side of face all the time. Had MRI w and wo contrast that said normal, eye exam that said normal, neuroligst says its a migraine . I've had migraines since I was 9 yrs old now 50 . It is not a headache pain more pressure no sinus congestion or drainage. Drs say just treat symptoms. I want to know what is causing the symptoms! I just finished up 5 years of Arimidex for breast cancer. I also take benicar for high bp but bp has been normal. Also no teeth problems. Any suggestions as to how I can find out what is causing this pain and pressure ? I can't live like this
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 4 years ago.
911Doctor :

I understand you wish to know what is causing this, but the fact is that you have had an MRI and been evaluated by an ophthalmologist and a neurologist. I wonder how I might help you here on this site?

Customer: No one can answer what is causing this pain and numbness on my left side of face and eye?!?
Customer: They say they don't know! But it's there!
911Doctor :

I understand that, it must be very frustrating for you. But I am wondering how I can help you here.

911Doctor :

Are you still seeing the neurologist because it seems to me that a neurologist is going to be the kind of doctor that will diagnose you.

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer: He says he can't because the MRI showed normal so I went to eye dr and to my family dr who say they don't know so treat the symptoms with pain meds! That is not acceptable to me! I want to know who can diagnose this for me. Five years ago I had to go through 12 drs .... Not 1 not 2 not 3 or 4 but 12 before someone would listen to me about my breast bleeding! They all saw the X-rays mris and mamo.... Took 12 before one of them agreed to do a biopsy, they found cancer and now only have one breast. If I had listened to them I might be dead now . I know my body! I know what feels normal and what doesn't! This numbness and pain is not normal. Now I ask you..... If it were you!!! What would you do?
911Doctor :

Are you anywhere near an academic medical center? A University hospital?

Customer: I live in Las Vegas nv? For three years now not sure what they have
911Doctor :

They have a fine medical center there. I think you would do very well to see a headache specialist. In the second reference I sent you there is an entity called Hemicrania Continua, it is hard to diagnose and poorly understood.

911Doctor :

This may be in play with you

911Doctor :

at the least

911Doctor :

you need to get to a neurologist who specializes in headache diagnosis and treatment

Customer: I see your in Tn so were the 12 drs I saw in Knoxville ! Where are you?
911Doctor :

You may take comfort in the fact that your eye exam and MRI are normal

911Doctor :

I am near Nashville

Customer: I do have a renal artery aneurysm any way that might be related
911Doctor :

No, no way.

911Doctor :

Have they repaired it?

Customer: Really because of my past issues with people reading test .... I don't trust one persons diagnosis
911Doctor :

I can see that

Customer: I see a dr at vanderbilt for my aneurysm
911Doctor :

I thought you said you were in Las Vegas?

Customer: It was very small and he monitors it I'm past due for MRI on that
911Doctor :

I see. Vanderbilt has an outstanding headache clinic. Can you take your case there?

Customer: I do live in Vegas I used to live in Knox Tn and saw him there I have MRI every couple years and send him the test to read and monitor
911Doctor :

I see

911Doctor :

When was the MRI of your brain and your opthalmologic exam?

Customer: Op ex was last week all they found was a small pressure on left eye MRI was June 5 2013 last month
911Doctor :

what do you mean by 'small pressure' on left eye?

Customer: Would a check from ENT help? I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for answers now
Customer: Not sure she said small pressure but wasn't much reading of 27 that could indicate glaucoma down the road
911Doctor :

a reading of 27 is abnormal

911Doctor :

I'm curious why he didn't think you could have glaucoma?

Customer: They said it was normal but a little high what is normal
911Doctor :

normal is usually up to 20

911Doctor :

I agree that 27 isn't a crazy number

911Doctor :

but am curious that you have pain behind that eye and have an elevated pressure in that eye

911Doctor :

but they do not think this is related.

Customer: She put me through a series of tests vision was 20/20 and 20/25
911Doctor :

I see

Customer: I can't read hardly anything in front of me without readers but far away is good
911Doctor :

okay

Customer: Ok what do you suggest? Would it also cause my other symptoms ... Pain and numbness
911Doctor :

could cause pain, not numbness

911Doctor :

Did you by chance see Dr Ansarinia in Las Vegas?

911Doctor :

A neurologist?

Customer: Ok I guess I need to rule out them all one at a time
Customer: what about ENT? Or dr to check my bp blood flow? Arteries? Heart issues? I don't know!
911Doctor :

You have already had the million dollar workup

911Doctor :

The MRI is the most important thing

911Doctor :

The ophthalmology evaluation being the second most important thing

911Doctor :

I think it is time to see a headache specialist

Customer: No saw dr Simon Farrow who has the bed side mannerisms of a piss ant!
911Doctor :

I do not think ENT will have anything at all for you with a normal MRI

911Doctor :

I just searched for headache specialists in Las Vegas and found Dr Ansarinia

911Doctor :

He is board certified in Neurology and specializes in diagnosing and treating headaches

Customer: Ok any suggestions for a headache specialist? Here in Vegas? I'm not too confident in the drs I've seen so far. I'm very picky as you can see don't like meds I want answers then ill deal with what I have to treat with.
911Doctor :

yes, I just typed it above, Dr Ansarinia, can you see that?

Customer: Yes I see that
911Doctor :

Here is his contact info and address from healthgrades.com

911Doctor :
2835 S Jones Blvd

Las Vegas, NV 89146

(702)(###) ###-####/strong>
Customer: Ill give them a call but still is a neurologist
911Doctor :

yes, he is a neurologist, those are the specialists who deal with headaches that do not have a structural cause like a brain tumor.

Customer: But this is more pressure than headache
911Doctor :

nevertheless, it is a headache by definition. a headache can cause all types of pain including pressure.

911Doctor :

a migraine can have only visual symptoms for instance

911Doctor :

and a migraine can cause abdominal pain

911Doctor :

so this is the next best bet for you in getting this figured out

911Doctor :

are you there?

911Doctor :

I see you have stepped out of the chat.

911Doctor :

we chatted for about 50 minutes and I think I answered all your questions

911Doctor :

please consider leaving positive feedback as it is the only way experts on this site are reimbursed for their time.

911Doctor :

good luck with getting this problem properly diagnosed and treated.

911Doctor :

I hope you have complete relief from this problem.

911Doctor :

best

911Doctor :

911doc

Customer: Yes sorry thank you
Customer: youyou you have been more help than any drs here