Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have been having trouble with skin issues for the past

three months and am being...
I have been having trouble with skin issues for the past three months and am being treated by a NP dermatologist. I seem to get small spots of rash every two weeks and then they resolve. Last two spots looked like bites and blanched when pressed on. Yesterday I developed a small itchy rash and later a red purplish spot appeared near the rash. It is in a fatty area on my arm where I normally don't get those ugly purple bruises. It does not blanch. I called for an appt. with my FP but he is not in today. Should I be concern or should I just keep an eye on it? My derm has had me on steroid cream for about four-five weeks.
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/30/2013
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Hi--what was the dermatologist's diagnosis of your skin problem?

no dx. it is always minor and resolving when I see her. She is thinking it is contact allergies or sensitive skin.

Any chance you could post a photo on this page?

Photo will not upload and it is not a very clear picture. The rash area is elevated and light red and the red spot is above and is small. working on the photo. it is just not going to be very helpful.

OK--how exactly is this different from your other skin problem areas?

the skin rashes seem to change in appearance periodically. THis rash is similar to the rash I had a few weeks ago. The only difference and my only concern is the red spot that looks similar to those bruises I often get on my hands but never get this far up on my arm and that spot does not blanch. Really, it does not look alarming and it is only one spot. I have the normal ugly purple bruise on my wrist which is not uncommon for me so I guess my concern is the spot that looks like purpura above the rash. I am an anxious person and these skin issues have been making me a little crazy. It is probably nothing to be concerned about but I it is different and I wanted to run it by a doctor.

Does your doctor agree that you have purpura?

No--this is the first time I have had anything that looked like purpura. It is a red purplish red spot right above the rash. I have never had this happen before.

Sorry but I thought you mentioned bruises elsewhere?

Oh I have some bruising on my hands occasionally. My derm was not concerned and said it is just aging. This one is different. I did not bump this spot like I do my hands and wrist. IT just popped out of nowhere several hours after I got the rash. I would not be concerned at all except that it does not blanch and is a spot where even if I bumped it I would expect a normal bruise not a red spot that doesn't blanch.

OK--got it. This does sound like purpura then and although it might not signify anything serious you do need to have your FP look at it and do some blood work. Your platelets may be low or there could be a liver problem that's affecting your coagulation factors, or you could have hypersplenism where the speen is enlarged and destroying platelets. I do think you need to get this checked out as soon as possible.

Okay--my fb doctor is not in today. I will see if I can make an appt. for tomorrow. Thank you.

My pleasure but please let me know how it goes
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)