Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My doc recently heard a murmur and sent me to a cardio doc.

Hello. My doc recently heard a murmur and sent me to a cardio doc. He did not hear anything and said if I would feel
Better I could get an echocardiogram. I would rather not, please advise.
mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Heart murmur in most cases is a benign condition.

mysticdoc :

This is not concerning without any symptoms like dizziness, chest pain or palpitations.

mysticdoc :

Echocardiogram is an noninvasive ultrasound of the heart to check for any valve problem and also to assess the heart function.

mysticdoc :

Murmur is produced by the turbulent blood flow in the heart due to the valve leakage or delayed opening of the valve.

mysticdoc :

In most cases, this is insignificant clinically and no intervention is needed.

mysticdoc :

An echocardiogram will further reassure you by proving this is harmless.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

mysticdoc : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
mysticdoc : Hi there,
mysticdoc : Heart murmur in most cases is a benign condition.
mysticdoc : This is not concerning without any symptoms like dizziness, chest pain or palpitations.
mysticdoc : Echocardiogram is an noninvasive ultrasound of the heart to check for any valve problem and also to assess the heart function.
mysticdoc : Murmur is produced by the turbulent blood flow in the heart due to the valve leakage or delayed opening of the valve.
mysticdoc : In most cases, this is insignificant clinically and no intervention is needed.
mysticdoc : An echocardiogram will further reassure you by proving this is harmless.
mysticdoc : Best wishes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Doc. Thanks. Since the cardio doc didn't hear anything ,I feel reassured. Is it ok to skip the echo? Thanks!
I think so.
That means this is not concerning.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My only concern is my family doc who sent me to him saying " why didn't you get the echo" since he did give me an order for it. But I've had a real problem this year having my insurance deny payment for tests. Thanks!
You can discuss with your cardiologist regarding the necessity of the echo since he is more experienced in this field.
Best wishes