Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

This will sound crazy... but could I get that brain-eating

amoeba (N. fowleri) from getting...
This will sound crazy... but could I get that brain-eating amoeba (N. fowleri) from getting a large amount of water up my nose during a mud run (Savage Race) in Maryland? I went down a water slide into water that was probably pumped in from a lake, and had hundreds of muddy people sliding into and got a lot of water up my nose (it hurt through my whole face). Today's day 8, and while I did catch a cold/cough after the race I don't have any other symptoms and the cold is going away now.
7/28/2013
Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor

HI, Thanks for your question. My name is***** and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Have you had fever during this period?

Any symptoms like severe headache etc?

Regards

Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor

Hi
I was following your question.
The chance of you getting this infection is pretty much nil.
The thermophilic nature of N fowleri allows it to survive in waterways contaminated by thermal discharges from power plants, heated swimming pools, and even hot springs with temperatures up to 45°C (113°F)

So unless you were near any of these types of body of water, you would not get it
As well, there are many people who DO go in heated pools and do not get this infection. It is very very very very rare.

Most often, the first symptoms develop 2-5 days after the last exposure to contaminated water- you are day 8

I hope that this helped.

Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)

Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor

No fever, no headache beyond a very slight one here and there because I was fighting a cold.

Thanks for your input. I am myself an Ear, Nose and Throat specialist so can help you. What make you thought of this disease? I want to know details before giving an answer. Regards

THe symptoms of N. fowleri is like bacterial meningitis- it is very quick and severe:

Fever
Alteration in taste (ageusia) or smell (parosmia)
Sudden-onset headache (usually frontal or bitemporal)
High temperature (up to 40°C)
Nausea, vomiting, or both
Stiff neck

Mental status changes
Physical findings associated with encephalitis and eventual herniation (cranial nerve palsies, seizures, coma)
Rapid onset of coma and death (within 2 wk)

So, you would be pretty ill by now :-)

There was a great episode on HOUSE (Fox) where the patient got N. fowleri from pigeon poop in the drainage system. You should check it out :-)

Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Thank you for the rating :-)
I will check on you in a couple of days...
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor