kimo31
kimo31, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  Family Practice resident.
14971955

I had a right knee revision almost 2 weeks ago. The surgeon

I had a right knee revision almost 2 weeks ago. The surgeon took out a partial knee replacement and replaced it with a total knee. This was my 11th surgery on this knee. I am getting around ok, but I do not remember any of my other surgeries being this painful with movement. I can find a position in my recliner that there is actually no pain, but as soon as I have been on my feet for over 5 minutes, it is throbbing. I guess I just want to know if this is normal?
kimo31 :

Hello, I am sorry to hear about your knee pain.

kimo31 :

A total knee surgery is typically a larger surgery and may be a harder recovery than a partial knee revision.

kimo31 :

The specifics on how these surgeries are performed would best be described by an orthopedic specialist, so I have reported your question to be submitted to the Orthopedic Experts instead of general Health experts.

Customer:

Oh, ok, thank you for doing that for me.

kimo31 :

My immediate advice would be that if you are having difficulty with recovery, have redness or drainage of any of the wounds, to call your surgeon's office for a follow up evaluation.

kimo31 :

Absolutely.

Customer:

Luckily there is no redness or drainage. I do have an appointment to get the staples out on Wednesday

Customer:

How often should I be icing it down?

kimo31 :

Excellent, I am happy to hear that it sounds like everything is going OK and it just may be comparatively more painful (and perhaps a different sensation) than during your previous surgeries.

Customer:

I assume that is what is going on. After so many knee surgeries, I should be a pro at this...LOL

kimo31 :

Icing it down is entirely up to you. If you feel pain it is a good idea to ice it down. Following the prescribed rehabilitation activities are just as important to facilitate your recovery.

kimo31 :

It may be a while before your question is submitted to the orthopedic category, as it has been sent to the forum moderator. Unfortunately I made the request after I answered the question, so there may be a delay and I do apologize.

Customer:

I had to leave rehab early due to having an engagement that I had to go to and a job interview. I believe they said ice 3 times a day....Does that sound about right?

kimo31 :

That sounds about right. The goal is to keep inflammation down so that you can do the activities.

Customer:

No worries at all, and I thank you for the input that you have given me.

kimo31 :

That is what we are here for. If you have any more questions I am always happy to help get you the best answers. Best to you and a speedy recovery!

Customer:

Thank you, ***** ***** supposed to have the other knee done in a week or so. Thank you again.

kimo31 :

Thank you for the excellent rating! As much as I appreciate it, I would suggest that you wait to get your answer received by an orthopedic expert to give you more information on the differences between these surgeries.

Thank you for the excellent feedback! I recently worked with you in regard to your concern about your knee revision. I wanted to follow up with you and see how things have progressed.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me again. You can even request me specifically when asking future questions by saying so in the title of your question. I look forward to providing you with the best experience possible!