Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Two of my fingers on my left hand (my thumb and middle

finger) have a small patch...
Two of my fingers on my left hand (my thumb and middle finger) have a small patch of discoloration. The discoloration looks like an orange rust. No pain, no itchiness.. Everything else with my body seems to be perfectly fine! I've noticed this happen a few times over the last 6 months.. Only happens after a night of drinking alcohol heavily, which I'm not proud of. Is my liver failing ? I'm 28 and healthy as can be.
7/28/2013
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name is***** and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

May I ask you if you have any medical conditions or take any medication?

Customer:

Good afternoon Dr Brims. I do not have any medical conditions or take any medications.

Dr Brims :

How long does the discoloration last when it occurs?

Customer:

A day tops.

Dr Brims :

I see, this may be due to increased metabolism in your liver after you drink heavily

Customer:

I'm guessing the increased metabolism is my body's attempt to flush the toxins out of my body?

Dr Brims :

Yes, that is correct

Customer:

I know drinking heavily is terrible for my body and I'm sure eventually it will take it's toll in a more serious matter. However, what I am experiencing now, is this a very urgent medical problem or will I be ok?

Dr Brims :

This is not very serious for now, I don't there is any cause for concern

Customer:

Excellent. With that being said I'll stop while I'm ahead. My life is too important to binge drink.

Dr Brims :

That is a good decision

Customer:

So to make me rest easy today.. this is definitely not a sign of my liver failing or anything to that nature?

Dr Brims :

No, it is not a sign of your liver failing

Customer:

that's great news but also a wake up call to slow down on the drinking. I don't drink often but when I do I consume excessive amounts.

Dr Brims :

Okay

Customer:

Last question, What are the warning signs of a failing liver?

Dr Brims :

There are no warning signs, there are only symptoms and signs which are jaundice, edema, easy bruising and bleeding

Customer:

ok well that is scary stuff. No party is worth that.

Customer:

Thank you for your expertise today, Dr Brims!

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Customer:

have a wonderful day and take care!

Dr Brims :

Same to you!

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician