911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

My son broke his 4th proximal phalanx. the urgent care

my son broke his 4th proximal phalanx. the urgent care center called it a butterfly fracture and when we went to the orthopedic today he used the word crushed and said it's near the growth plate yet said that he does not need to wear the crutches and simply needs to keep it buddy taped and wants to check it in two weeks. my son is 14 and playS soccer so I don't want to do the wrong thing and thought a second opinion would help thank you
911Doctor :

I take it you mean the fourth digit on the foot.

911Doctor :

The Orthopedist is correct.

911Doctor :

With some relatively rare exceptions phlangeal fractures... toe fractures, require nothing more than buddy taping and time to heal.

911Doctor :

Pay particular attention to the section entitled 'fracture of the lesser toes' and then to the treatment section.

911Doctor :

If your son saw an Orthopedist then you may have every confidence that he is being properly managed though I understand your concern as my son, as well, plays soccer, and if he can't play he is very unhappy indeed.

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat so will change this to a Q and A format.

911Doctor :

If your question has been adequately answered please consider leaving positive feedback. If you have further questions simply type them in the box below and click reply. Have a great evening, and, should you need my assistance in the future please begin your question with 'for 911doc'.

911Doctor :

Best