Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

You would seriously stop answering my questions

7/21/2013
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Look--that wasn't the first time that you moved into that area and I've told you time and again I can't discuss that particular situation. It's almost like you do it on purpose since I know you're not dumb and you should easily understand why we can't deal with that kind of thing on line. So, far warning--if you ever head that way again I will have to cut off communications with you.
What a good friend you are
Stop it--it's just that I can't go there and you know it. You seem to like to smack others in the face when it suits your mood. If I break the rules here I'll be dismissed from the site and then I couldn't help you or anyone else.
Whatever
Wonderful response.
Dsorry
You can be a bit nasty when you want to be
What did i do that was nasty
The what a good friend you are--that was sarcastic. The whatever--that's like you don't care about what I said, like it wasn't anything important to consider. I'm not being thin-skinned here--that's how other people would take the same comments.
Then dont f**king help me. I dont need you either!
Im goingvto govtosleep
OK--get back to me later
Are you disappointed in me
No
What do you feel about what i keep doingd
Frustrated but not disappointed. Have to be away for about an hour--get back to me then
K ill go bCk to sleeep
Later
Why does it make you frustrated
Are we talking about what you did or that you told me about it?
I was taking about both
Well your telling me about it time and again is frustrating because I tell you not to do that. The other part is frustrating because you're basically trying to shut out reality--like an alcoholic uses booze to do the same.
Im sorry
I asked you not to use that word again. But let's change the subject here
My little cousins up for the week. And i dont even want to be around him
Why not?
Cuz im depressed
All the more reason to spend time with him and to do things with him
His parents wont let me do anything with him
Not even visit with him?
I can visit but thats all. I cant bring him for a golf cart ride, or take him swimming or take him to the movie
I know you talked about this before, but did something actually happen before that now makes his parents make this rule?
No its because last summer i had an eating disorder so they say im mentally unstable
But why did they come up with that idea--talking maybe to your mom figure or your real mom?
I dont know. But me having an eating disorder last summer didnt affect him at all
I'm sure it didn't--have you actually talked to them about exactly why they're taking this attitude?
Ya they say i provedast summer that i am mental unstable and that i am lucky that they even let him see me
Were they like that before last summer? What did they mean by you proved it?
They were never like that before. And i proved it by being admited to the hospital and by being admited to the partial hospitalization program
OK. So are they with him up there and, if so, can't you go out with him so long as one of them goes along?
Ya they are up here with him. I refuse to be "babysat" by his parents. Its just easier to not see him
Guess so
At this point i dont care anout anything
What did you used to care about?
I use to care about my little cousin, the girls, work
What's your schedule like this week?
I work everyday
Well for now you just need to do what all you're supposed to do, one day at a time
I should just quit my job
do what exactly, since you aren't independently wealthy?
Idk
Food stamps I guess
Im just really blue
I know.
What do i do about it
One day at a time like I said--get up in the morning and to to work for starters
Maybe i should increase my antidepressant
No for several reasons--it won't work that fast even if it was going to, you shouldn't do it without asking your doctor first and the combination of extra Zoloft and the amitriptylene could cause serotonin syndrome, and this isn't a chemical imbalance depression--you have reasons for feeling down right now.
How do you know its not a chemical depression
When you have reasonable reasons for feeling sad and you are sad for those reasons, that isn't the type of depression that antidepressants work on
Then why am i on one
I told you before I wouldn't have put you on it. Let's not get into the old line about but it's what your doctor prescribed. And even so, increasing it now isn't going to help what's going on. You tend to want a pill to take care of everything sometimes and unfortunately that doesn't happen very often
I know a damn pill wont cure anything
Maybe so but with what you do sometimes and by thinking increasing the dose would help that's still thinking that way
I suppose you are right
Remember I've had a lot of experience in that area
I just need more help right now than my therapist is capable giving
I agree
But idk how to find a good therapist
Well you definitely need a different one and it may take trial and error--find a new one and give him a try. You might ask your MD uncle
My uncle doesnt believe in mental ailments
As in?
He tjinks that depression and such can be treated without seeking therapy
Perhaps but that's a little like saying you can more rapidly learn how to learn the piano on your own without having a good teacher.
Maybe i should see a mayo therapist
Good thought
What would i tell the mayo dr
Not sure what you mean?
If i want him to do a referral to one if their therapists
Just tell him you need more intensive and different therapy from what you're getting with your therapist.
What if he doesnt agree
Why with the what if's? Seriously I think you say that sometimes because you're looking for a reason not to do something I suggest. Absolutely no reason he wouldn't agree you need some serious therapy.
This is what his last note said "The patient was seen by our eating disorders expert, and it seems like her bulimia is well controlled. We recommend that she see her local therapist."
That wasn't a therapist at all and your problem goes beyond the eating disorder part. The least you can do is talk to him and be forceful with your request to see someone in the psych department at Mayo
How do i bs forceful?
You say that you know you have many problems--a great deal of the past that you've never dealt with, along with the eating disorder that is likely caused by the past experiences and a severe lack of self-esteem. You haven't made any real progress so far with your present therapist both because you haven't opened up and perhaps from his inability to lead you into doing so and not you're ready for hard work with a very skilled therapist.
Im going to send my mayo dr a message via the mayo portal. Will you tell me exactly what to say?
I need your help and I know you will agree that what I'm about to say is very important to me and not easy to tell you. I need serious, intensive, skilled psychotherapy to get through the obstacles that have blocked my happiness and my advancement in life. There are multiple past incidences that occurred to me that I have never shared with a therapist, let alone worked through so that the anger and resentment and bitterness and low self-esteem that I'm left with can all be lifted so that I can live a contented, successful life. My eating disorder is a direct consequence of this and it alone is only a small part of the whole problem. I need a lot of help and I'm finally ready not only to as for that help but to embrace it and work with it. I am asking you to help me get on with my life and find the therapist I need.
You think that will do it?
How does this tie into my eating disorder
It's there in the text I gave you. It's your low self esteem that gives you a slanted opinion of what being fat is and your subconscious makes you think that starving yourself and purging is the way to deal with it
I sent him a message we will just have to wait and see
Good for you--you took the best action you could right now
I have spent all day sleeping and when im awake all i do is cry
It'll get better--give yourself a pat on the back for sending that message
But you wrote the message. All i did i send it
but it was the sending that you should feel good about even if I wrote the message--you took some action
I know but what if he thinks im a freak
Freak isn't even a medical term. What's your concern here?
I think hes going to think that im mental ill
What's your definition of mentally ill since that, too, isn't a medical term?
Just that he will think im insane
Well of course you aren't insane--that is really going over the top dramatically to use that term
What word would you use
Significantly clinically depressed and suffering from PTSD but certainly not psychotic or schizophrenic which are the only two medical terms on might consider insane or severely mentally ill.
What else
That's the major part but where are we going with this?
I just wanted to know what you yhought was wrong with me
I just told you and I've told you the same thing for a long time
Do you think mayo can do an rating disorder assessment
Not sure what that is?
Eating disorder assessment
Sure but as I said that's just a side effect of your other problems
Im afraid of hurting my therapists feelings
That's entirely his business and no concern of yours. I'm sure every therapist has had patients that have "fired" them--it's part of the profession
Well hopefully the mayo dr will set something up, and itll be a good fit
I think it will. Need to close the page, so, anything else for now?
I thwacked my head on the concrete floor
That's an entirely new point and I'm not going to talk about it on this page. You really shouldn't blind side me with a new point like that. Let's close this page and if you really need to talk about that we can do it on a new page.
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)