Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Im wondering if this was a fib. I went out drinking had too

Im wondering if this was a fib. I went out drinking had too much.Next morning I had a few flutters which scared me. The my heart started racing. Paramedics came HR was 180 BP was 180/100 heart was fluttering. did ekg went to hospital no sirens took another ekg at hospital. By the time I got to hospital pulse 140 they gave me Ativan and pulse came down to 74. ECG were fine. do you think that was a fib or a panic attack
What do you mean by fluttering and what did the EKG tracing when the paramedics were attending to you show? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

felt like a fish was flopping around my chest. paramedics didn't say anything to me about my ecg. ecg in hospital was normal they said. gave me fluids and Ativan then let me go.. felt much better after Ativan. I do get skipped beats every now and then

Have you ever had an echocardiogram to look at your hear valves?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no,but my dr has heard a murmur and then sometimes she doesn't hear it. can a heart murmur cause that

Well, mitral valve prolapse can cause skipped beats or something called paroxysmal atrial tachycardia and I'd get the echo to check for that. A fib isn't likely here and its an irregularly irregular rhythm--not just a steady, rapid rhythm, and it usually lasts long enough that it's captured on an EKG. This could have been anxiety but a rate of 180 is a bit high for just that alone. I'd get the echo and consider putting you on a Holter monitor--a 24/7 EKG--to capture those skipped beats.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have a history of over 20 years of panic disorder was off my meds at the time that happened. could my panic get bad enough to make all that happen

it could but I'm just saying that a rate of 180 would make me get the further evaluations before I decided that was the cause
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is it safe to drink occasionally

Sure--just so it's in moderation
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thank you very much you were very helpful!! Your pretty sure it wouldn't have been a fib right?

My pleasure--any time, but please remember to rate my service to you. No, this doesn't sound at all like afib.