Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I can smell a horrible smell and I have a metal taste in my

Customer Question

I can smell a horrible smell and I have a metal taste in my mouth. I have asked family members to smell me and they said they cannot smell anything at all. It has gotten so horrible that I went to my family practitioner who swears she could smell urine. She tested my urine and it was clear. She gave me a pelvic exam and did not find anything at all. She gave me metronidazole 500mg and sulfameth/trimethoprim 800. I have been taking it for 5 days and the smell has not dissapated. I don't think she smelled what I am smelling. I am "borderline" diabetic and I take metformin every night. I am also being treated for high blood pressure (but it has only been really high one time). I have diverticulosis and take Nexium every day and my gall bladder was removed 2 years ago.
I am scared and don't know what to do. No one is taking me seriously because they cannot smell what I am smelling.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied, if you are perceiving this horrible smell and metallic mouth taste , you should consult a specialist preferably an ENT Specialist .
There are several conditions that should be investigated and that could produce these symptoms you have been experiencing including :
1-Olfactory nerve damage
2- Internal brain masses
3- Nasal polyps ( which are benign masses )
4-Partial seizures ( in this condition , the patient experiences irregular electrical activity in the temporal lobe ,producing these smell sensory distortions ).
5- Nutritional deficiencies
6- Smoking
7-Medication side effects specially anticonvulsants ,diuretics, antibiotics ,thyroid hormonal supplements and antidepressants )
8- Chemo or radiotherapy side effects
9- Gingivitis or teeth infections
10- Excessive calcium ,iron,copper,selenium ,iodine ,mercury ,cadmium or lead blood levels
11- Kidney disease ,specially when your kidneys are not eliminating blood waste products properly .
The doctor will need to perform several tests including a head CT or MRI , a mouth and nasal passage physical examination , an EEG ,blood ,urine ,kidney function tests and a complete medical history to determine which of these conditions is producing these symptoms so you can receive an appropriate treatment .
If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !
Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** to say that I take Detrol for stress incontinence. Plus I have gained nearly 20 lbs since the end of April.

Detrol could produce both side effects , the metallic mouth taste and alter your olfactory functions producing these irregular smelling sensations , so it would be good to contact the doctor who prescribed the medication to see if DETROL could be behind your symptoms .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. German ... I am in the process of following your advice and will rate your answer and pay for the service very soon. Please don't drop me.

That is perfect if you need any additional information ,just tell me , I will be here to help you.
Good luck to you and have a good day !