Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Waking up with major back pain every day. Other than that,

back pain appears to subside...
Waking up with major back pain every day. Other than that, back pain appears to subside in the day until I sleep again. My mattress is made of memory foam. I also appear to sleep excessively, 11,12,13 hours despite normal blood tests.
What's going on?
7/13/2013
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Since when are you having the back pain?

Do you exercise?

How would you rate the pain on a scale of 1 to 10?

Have you done an x ray or other tests like MRI of the back?

Nope, I don't really exercise at all, actually. Hmm, the pain appears to be a 5/6. Its moderate, to put it short. And, yes, I had an MRI of the back and everything was normal.

Alright Alex. so, It looks like there is no major problem with the bones or the muscles as the MRI was normal.

I think the pain is likely due to muscle strain. You could try taking advil for the pain, use ice packs on and off and start taking magnesium supplements which helps to cure all kinds of muscular cramps due to its beneficial effects on muscles as well as nerves.

I would also advise you to do some stretching exercises at home since you mentioned that the pain reduces during the day, meaning that activity of the muscles in the day time helps to reduce the back pain, suggesting muscular origin.

If still there is no help, you can try myofascial trigger point treatment. Here the actual points of pain are identified by a specialist and treated accordingly. here is an article that you can read up.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

The answer took very long indeed. Not satisfied. However, I accept that the information above was detailed. Still, the answer could have been a lot quicker. Thanks. That is all, you may close the question.

The answer took sometime I agree , because my internet server is slow.

But why have you given me a poor service, this reflects badly on me.
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor

Could you please answer the reasons for me sleeping so excessively? Is this really normal for a sixteen year old?

Thanks for the accept and the bonus and sorry for the late answer.

The excessive sleeping is not normal for you.

Do you feel sleepy during the day?

At what time do you sleep at night?

Do you have excessive / abnormal dreams?

Yes, I feel fatigued, really. And, when I wake up, I feel very strange indeed.... almost like I'm drugged. I sleep pretty late, however, around 2am-4am and wake at 1pm/2pm/3pm/4pm. My dreams are excessive, I wake up, with all these strange thoughts rushing through my head.. almost like I'm still in a dream state.

Thanks,

Hi Alex.

It looks like you are sleeping at an abnormal time . This makes you sleep excessively but the dreams are pat of your sleep cycle and does not look abnormal. Your biological clock is not working properly and so you may be having excessive dreams.

And the drugged feeling is because you are sleeping more than normal.

If the excess sleep and dreams continue to bother you, I would suggest you get an EEG to check the sleep waves, This will tell you if you sleep is abnormal and if you need referral to a sleep specialist.

If you try and sleep earlier at say around 12 to 1 am, I feel that your sleep pattern will improve.

Thanks, ***** ***** all.

Pleasure is mine!

Take care!
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor