Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

OK Just Answer, here's one for you. I've suffered from an

OK Just Answer, here's one for you. I've suffered from an awful Sulfite allergy [intolerance] since the middle of 2009. The details of Sulfite intolerance can be found in my on-line document: http://www.scribd.com/doc/24521772/Sulfite-Allergy-What-you-need-to-know
Here's the interesting aspect of this issue. Once I had finally rid myself of sulfites in my diet, my shampoo's, my soaps, etc. I had cleared-up from the severe case of hives that I had for years. This was at the beginning of 2012. At that time I was about 30lbs heavier that I am now. I knew from my research that sulfites had built-up in my fat cells, and so I needed to rid myself of that fat if I ever intended to get over this sulfite issue.
And so over the period of 3 months (1-1-2012 through 3-30-2012) I lost more than 30 lbs. This was great except for one thing…the wealth of sulfites locked-up in my fat cells came flooding out into my system. The locations they choose to come out were the web of my left hand (between the thumb and the first finger), and the middle finger of my right hand. Thank goodness it wasn’t my eyes…or even, well you get the idea….
While the web of my left hand resulted in the usual blisters [hives], something interesting happened on my right finger. The blister, which had formed on my right finger completely destroyed the skin and was raw for many months – it looked like flesh-eating bacteria was at work. But as this healed something interesting started happening. Small fibers, like spiders silk, began appearing on the slowly healing wound on my finger. This wasn’t an isolated incident, but rather quite the large number of these fibers appearing daily. And they were not so small…. This continued for more than 8 months!
I used a Jeweler’s loop and diamond tipped tweezers to remove these fibers one-by-one as they were quite numerous and many in clusters. Note that these fibers were not the result of using towels or anything else to dry this wound while it was healing, as I only washed with crystal geyser water and air-dried this area of my hand for more than a year. As I removed these fibers from my finger, I could feel how deep they were…being pulled-up from within my finger.
These fibers were exactly like a spiders web; the same size, consistency and strength as spiders silk. While my left hand and right middle finger have since healed, I still continue to have a minor reaction occurring on the first knuckle of the little finger of my right hand. This small wound is also producing spider-web-like-silk….though in much smaller numbers and size that my middle finger previously had.
Can this be reproduced? Given sufficient amounts of sulfites I’m quite sure I can easily reproduce this phenomenon on the fingers of my right hand. I’ve searched the Internet as well as other sources and have found absolutely nothing even remotely approaching this subject.
And so Just Answer, what say you? Ever heard of someone producing spider silk?
Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name is***** and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this situation

Dr Brims :

May I ask if you have had any recent tests to diagnose this?

Customer:

I went to my doctor who referred me to a dermatologist, who eventually diagnosed my conditioned as dermatitis (a rash). I eventually had to diagnose myself after being prescribed a steroid cream, by the dermatologist, which was sulfa-based. I almost died. And so, this is my plight....

Dr Brims :

Okay, so you have not had these spider webs tested?

Customer:

No, i've not.

Customer:

Would be interested to find out what these things are...maybe individual strands of my DNA!

Dr Brims :

Sorry, can you see my replies?

Dr Brims :

Hello?

Customer:

Yes, still having to work this evening..... Have to pay the bills.

Dr Brims :

Okay, do you still have any itching?

Customer:

No, just a small blister on my little finger...which is growing silk.....

Customer:

I don't think this is normal.

Dr Brims :

No, it is not normal

Dr Brims :

It may be due to secretions from a metabolic disorder

Customer:

I'm the real spider-man!

Dr Brims :

I would recommend you have the following tests

Dr Brims :

A complete blood count

Dr Brims :

and a complete metabolic profile

Dr Brims :

These 2 tests will help evaluate the cause

Customer:

It's about time I do this...I'm 56 and have not have a thorough going over for many years.

Dr Brims :

Yes, then it is time you have these tests

Customer:

Yes, I'll do that...how am I going to explain to my doctor that I produce spider webs?

Dr Brims :

You can just repeat it to him exactly how you described it to me

Dr Brims :

Also, take some samples if you can keep them

Customer:

Thank you, ***** ***** fear that they're eventually going to put me into a bottle of formaldehyde and study me.

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

They cannot study you if you don't agree to it

Customer:

I'd probably be OK being studied. After all, nobody knows how spider silk is produced.

Dr Brims :

Okay, if you don't mind being studied you can inform your doctor

Dr Brims :

Is there still anything you would like to ask on this topic or something you would like me to clarify?

Customer:

I don't think so. You've given me a path to follow.... Thanks ever so much.

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr Brims :

You may request me in the future by starting your question with "Dr Brims", and I will answer

If you have any other questions on this topic, please feel free to ask

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions, you may click a rating button to end the chat session