How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 32289
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have some kind of weird rash on my hips,genitals and at

This answer was rated:

I have some kind of weird rash on my hips,genitals and at the bend of my arm. It gets really red at times. It stays really dry and bumpy all the time. Weird part is if I press on one of the bumps a pus substance comes out. Quite often as well there are like little calcified balls under the skin that start to surface and have to be squeezed out. It almost looks like a really weird form of acne. A few years back I saw a few doctors but they never said what it was and would only give me steroid cream which as soon as I ran out of the cream it would resurface. I am looking to go to a dermatologist when my insurance kicks in in a couple of months but as for now it just really looks horrible and having a severe effect on my esteem
Hi--is this constant or does it come and go?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is always present
How large are these and do they either itch or are they tender?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They are neither tender nor itchy. The spot on the bend of my arm is roughly 4 inches long and about 2 inches wide. The spots on my hips are about 5-6 inches wide on each side and about 4 inches long. It's not as bad on my genitals. It also on the inside of one leg about the same as the hip

Any chance you could post a photo either on this page or at Imageshack, Photobucket, or Snapfish and give me the link?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It wouldn't let me post the pictures directly here so I have provided links to the one on my arm

Got them. You're talking about all those little white bumps that have can be squeezed and something looking like pus comes out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I am and sometimes there is little calcified ball looking things in them

in the past a cortisone type cream cleared this up?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just know it was a steroid cream but as soon as the cream ran out it would come right back

OK--two things here. The red areas themselves look fungal--tinea corporis--and a ketoconazole cream--not a cortisone/steroid cream--would be needed to clear that up. The small white bumps are called milia--small cysts--and tretinoin cream would likely clear those. For now you could try over the counter Lamisil cream to the areas three times a day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. Will the lamsil cream calm it down some till I can get in to a doctor in a couple of months? By the way thank you so much for your responses on this!

The cream might actually get rid of it entirely and you're welcome
Dr. Chip and other Health Specialists are ready to help you