Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I was running and did not see a black cast iron curb about

6" high in one end...
I was running and did not see a black cast iron curb about 6" high in one end of a parking space. I had on tennis shoes and jammed the front part of my heel very forcefully on the top angular corner of the left side of the curb. At first it stopped me dead in my tracks and then I stumbled forward about 4 hops on my left foot. It hurt immediately an then severely in the morning. This happened about 5 weeks ago. After days I went to an urgent care. They took 5 xrays and pressed on the very tender spot right at the back of my arch and the front of my heel on the bottom of my foot. The Doctor told me I had broken a very small bone spur.
He said it would take 4 to 8 weeks to heel, ice it, and keep it flexible. He mentioned it would cause Plantar facitis.
It still hurts me and cripples my ability to bend my foot when I walk. I have Diabetic Neuropathy and nerve damage, radiculopathy and pain in my feet, lower legs and toes anyway. So now I cannot even walk for exercise.
I have no special insole, brace, or other orthopedic appliance. I
Find that slipping along in Sperry Topsiders is the least painful.
What can I do for this? It seems to be taking so long to heal. It is about 1/3 better, but, still hurts like crazy.
Thanks
Ken
It has bee
7/11/2013
physician123
physician123, Doctor
physician123 :

Hello

physician123 :

Welcome to just answer.

physician123 :

I am sorry to hear of your discomfort

physician123 :

PLease enter the chat

physician123 :

Have you had any other investigations apart from the X ray ?

JACUSTOMER-14t6vz7f- : No other investigations
physician123 :

Okay

physician123 :

Have you had a repeat X ray after the initial ones ?

JACUSTOMER-14t6vz7f- : My Family Doctor did not suggest any. He ordered a dexascan and some bloodwork. I am not sure if you have access to my profile.
physician123 :

I have gone through the question you have posted .

physician123 :

As the pain is persistent and you have not been able to get much relief you may need a repeat of the investigations .

physician123 :

An X ray will serve as a comparison to the previous X ray and also help know if the fracture has healed .

physician123 :

At times there may be a soft tissue injury to the ligaments or the muscles and this can not be seen on an X ray and requires a scan like a MRI .

physician123 :

So these are the options that need to be considered .

physician123 :

As for the pain relief anti inflammatory medications and physical therapy do help .

physician123 :

Thus these are the points that need to be kept in mind when we are dealing with a case like yours .

JACUSTOMER-14t6vz7f- : I can get an MRI and I have an appointment with a popular physical therapist
physician123 :

That is the right step as it will help us get to the root of the problem

physician123 :

The physical therapist will help relieve the pain as well .

physician123 :

Please do take anti inflammatory medications as well .

JACUSTOMER-14t6vz7f- : There has been very little swelling and no black and blue. Just sharp burning pain when trying to walk.
physician123 :

Yes this could be the bony fragment or the soft tissue causing the pain

physician123 :

The physical therapist will help ease out the pain .

physician123 :

So please follow in this direction and this will help you feel better .

physician123 :

I hope you are getting my point ?

JACUSTOMER-14t6vz7f- : I have been using Voltaren gel. However I seem to tolerate 200 mg Ibuprofen better than 50 mg Diclofenac Oral, which can give me heartburn in my lower abdomen about 5 hours after taking it.
physician123 :

If you tolerate ibuprofen better then you should stick to it as it serves the purpose .

JACUSTOMER-14t6vz7f- : I was worried I could have ruptured the ligament. Would th MRI discover that?
physician123 :

Yes , infact a MRI is the ideal investigation to diagnose a ruptured ligament .

physician123 :

So please go ahead as planned as that is the right approach .

physician123 :

Do let me know if you have further doubts .
If my answer has helped you, please click on a four or five star rating, or a 'great service' rating, depending on what is displayed for you. It is only when you give a high rating that I get credit for my work.

If you are not yet satisfied, do not go for a lower rating, instead click on the 'continue conversation' button and specify what you feel was left unanswered, I am sure I can help you further.
Thank you

JACUSTOMER-14t6vz7f- : OK. I am going to try and see that PT today and get my Dexascan out of the way.
physician123 :

Yes and also the MRI .

physician123 :

I wish you a speedy recovery and great health

physician123 :

Take care and god bless

physician123 :

Please do leave a positive rating as it is only then that will the site credit me for my work and time .

physician123 :

Thank you

JACUSTOMER-14t6vz7f- : Thank you,
JACUSTOMER-14t6vz7f- : God Bless you also
physician123 :

Thank you

JACUSTOMER-14t6vz7f- : Good night, or Good morning
physician123 :

Good morning .

physician123 :

I look forward to your positive feedback .

physician123 :

Thank you

physician123
physician123, Doctor
physician123
physician123
physician123, Doctor