How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Cameron Your Own Question
Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 12910
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Cameron is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother has alzheimers and I am her POA and Health Care Proxy.

This answer was rated:

My mother has alzheimers and I am her POA and Health Care Proxy. Despite repeatedly telling a physician group that changes to her care and medications must be discussed with me, I appallingly find they are unwilling and schedule changes without my consent. My mother, though she cannot speak for herself has the right to refuse as I understand it, but since she cannot, I have the legal right to do this for her. What advice or comments can you give?
What you need to do is get a letter from your attorney stating that you have DPOA and HCP of your mom and that you will seek legal action against the physicians if they continue to change her health care without consultation with you.

That is basically it.
That letter will speak volumes. Physicians really hate potential litigation and will avoid it like the plague. Trust me, I know.

I hope this helped.

Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)
Dr. Cameron and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have those documents, they were delivered to the group at the onset. Ok your answer seems reasonable and I don't know what other could be imagined. Only issue I really have is why even keep such people on. I am currently leaning toward replacing them. A health care coach I employ said they may fire me first. Guess that will just lead to a more ernest search for a better more cooperative group of people.

No, you need another letter from your attorney.
They know you have those documents.
This is a second letter. As well, I would document when they did not inform you or ask your permission before changing meds, etc... That should be part of your letter.
It does not have to be very antagonistic- more direct.

Please note that I am DPOA and HCP. Attached are the documents (photocopies).
To date you have done (examples) without informing me or getting my consent.

Please note that if you continue to do this, I will file a complaint with the state medical board and will seek damages for assault (which is what they are effectively doing if they do procedures without consent)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Excellent information. Thank you very much. Please accept my tip, though not large is meant well. Money is not flowing well right now.

Thank you for the tip and the rating- that was really kind of you :-)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Really, you are terrific and feel I could use you again without hesitating. - Smitch

He he . Just ask for Dr. Cameron only :-)
Good luck!
I was wondering how you were doing and if you were successful with this letter..