Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

What can I do to lower a slight elevation in alkaline

Hi Doctor, What can I do...
Hi Doctor,
What can I do to lower a slight elevation in alkaline phosphatase (184) in my blood work. GGT, PTH, and everything else were normal. Vitamin D was 10 and that is considered low. Can I take Magnesium. I am a breast cancer survivor of almost 3 years, and been reading that many of my medications are terrible for my skeletal system. Aside from taking 50000 vitamin D to which my doc prescribed, what else can I do to aid in bone health and lower this number to normal range.
7/10/2013
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

ALP goes up with bone disease as well.

mysticdoc :

Since your liver enzymes are normal, osteoporosis and low vitamin D is likely the cause of elevated ALP.

mysticdoc :

Besides vitamin D, Alendronate can be prescribed weekly to strengthen the bones.

Customer:

would taking magnesium help?

mysticdoc :

This should also normalize the AlP level.

mysticdoc :

magnsium supplementation is good if you have low magnesium.

mysticdoc :

Otherwise, this will not help.

Customer:

oh, ok. Should i be concerned about my breast cancer. I am almost 3 years cancer free

Customer:

I am unsure my MG was tested

mysticdoc :

you should not be

mysticdoc :

follow up with your oncologist annually.

mysticdoc :

you can request for the Mg level check.

Customer:

thank you doctor. Oh ok, I am rechecking in 6-8 weeks

Customer:

I will ask for mg

mysticdoc :

very welcome

Customer:

you are wonderful. To the point. Thank you

Customer:

goodbye

Customer:

Just one thing

mysticdoc :

sure

Customer:

I should not be concerned that the breast cancer went to the bones with this level of ALK

Customer:

my calcium is good

Customer:

?

mysticdoc :

well ---unlikely.

mysticdoc :

that is one little possibility.

mysticdoc :

but that should be checked out with a bone scan.

Customer:

do you suggest I do this at this point or wait the 8 weeks to see if the level changes

Customer:

my onc thought it was too low to show concern. This is just my worry

mysticdoc :

You may wait till you see your oncologist

mysticdoc :

that is true

mysticdoc :

increasing level is more concerning than just mild elevation.

Customer:

ok, thank you doctor.

Customer:

goodbye.

mysticdoc :

very welcome

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist