Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I just finished taking Malarone from a week trip to India. I

I just finished taking Malarone from a week long trip to India. I had taken it from June 23 until yesterday, July 8th. I had a blood test today for an semi-annual physical and it showed my WBC had dropped from 8.0 (based on a test in 2010) to 3.7-- lower than the standard. Is this likely a side effect of the Malarone, or should I be concerned about something more serious?
Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name is***** and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Customer:

Well, I'm hoping it's nothing too serious.

Dr Brims :

Are you still taking malarone?

Customer:

No. I finished the last pill yesterday. I took it for the full prescribed amount-- 2 days before the trip, the entire time I was in India, and 7 days after.

Customer:

I did experience pretty awful side-effects from the Malarone. I was dizzy, nauseous, disoriented, etc.

Dr Brims :

Okay, this is a common side effect of malarone, I don't think you need to worry, your WBC should return to normal in a few weeks

Dr Brims :

Likely 2-3 weeks

Dr Brims :

It is not dangerously low, it is slightly low, so nothing to worry about

Customer:

Okay. So will I need to take a new blood test in a few weeks?

Customer:

Is it normal for it to drop so significantly?

Dr Brims :

It is normal, and you may repeat the blood test in a month

Customer:

Okay. Thank you.

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Customer:

Last question, real quick. Is there anything else I can do to rebuild my WBC?

Dr Brims :

No, it takes time to build, and you will have to give it time, a healthy diet is all you need

Customer:

Okay. Thanks again. Have a good day.

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr Brims :

same to you