911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

My brother was admitted to the hospital with Carcot foot.

My brother was admitted to the hospital with Carcot foot. He is a diabetic and did not realize it was broken or has bone fragments in it. they may have to operate. He also at some point will have to go on dialysis becasue his Creatine is 4. What can you trll me about this problem as far as how hard is it to recover and what he will need to do?

Thanks

911Doctor :

I'm sorry to hear this about your brother.

911Doctor :

Charcot foot is a really bad problem to have

911Doctor :

and depending on how advanced it is it is possible that he may need an amputation, but they will do everything they can to avoid that.

911Doctor :

as you can see, treatment depends on proper diagnosis. this will require xrays and CT scans, and likely casting will be tried. it will take some time for your brother to show progress in treatment, and no decision about surgery will be made until all other avenues have been explored.

911Doctor :

more concerning is his creatinine level of 4.

911Doctor :

if this does not improve in the hospital and he requires dialysis on a permenent basis this will be disabling to some degree.

911Doctor :

much of his hospital stay, no doubt, will be concerned with figuring out the extent to which his kidneys are irreversibly damaged.

911Doctor :

There is a possibility that his kidney function may improve with proper hydration, and we can certainly hope for that. But it will take some days to figure this out.

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat.

911Doctor :

I am going to switch to Q and A for ease of use.

911Doctor :

If you are satisfied with my answer positive feedback is appreciated.

911Doctor :

If you have further questions please simply ask them below and click 'reply'.

911Doctor :

Good luck to you and your brother in this difficult situation.

911Doctor :

Best