Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Doctor, I have had a pain in my left side in my back area

for a few days went...
Doctor, I have had a pain in my left side in my back area for a few days went to the doctor today to have a EKG and it was good they did a urine test and they said u do not have a uti but it is positive for something and they sent it out to lab. Also I wear a pant liner every day and have for many many years and I noticed this last week I have smell on my pad of ammonia.
7/8/2013
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Hi again--hope you had a great fourth. Do you know if the urine was positive for blood and what did the doctor have to say?
hi Dr chip, we had a great fourth it was our 10 year anniversary on the fourth it was pleasant. Anyways doctor the nurse told me that it came back positive and they would get back with me in a day or so. The doctor didn't say anything to me. If I have blood I do not see any at all.I am just wondering what could it be and is there anything I can do to help with the pain at all its more of a discomfort feeling and feels feverish back there.It's seems lower then the kidney area.
Was the term kidney stone mentioned?
Not at all although I said I have had kidney stones before in the same area 3 years ago. No one used the word kidney stones but me. I am so afraid of kidney failure or something like that. And if its stones again I will do anything to get rid of them I can not go under anesthetic again that is what happened to me before and I passed out 3 days after they said the pulverized the stones and I still had them and passed a 9mm stone myself. I never knew that urine could tell u that is a stone?
You can't tell for sure but if there are red blood cells in the urine ( and they don't have to be numerous enough to turn the urine bloody) and there's flank pain, that's an indication that there might be a kidney stone. I can't think of anything else that would be in the urine except maybe protein that would maybe indicate a kidney problem but without knowing exactly what was abnormal, I can only guess here
I have been taking those magnesium pills everyday that you told me to take should I stop taking them?
If you haven't told your doctor about them then you should stop for now. Shouldn't be a problem but you've taken them long enough to replenish your magnesium stores.
I made an appointment to see my urologists on Friday July 12.
Anything I can do until then? Could the ammonia smell from the vagina area have anything to do with the kidney?
If it's really your urine that's causing the smell, that could be a urinary tract infection or just concentrated urine. If it's from your vagina, it could be a vaginal infection
It is coming from the vagina. And a week ago I noticed that the discharge as slightly pink like blood. But it is defiantly the vagina. No more pink though. Although I wonder if it is urine becuase I know we drip urine after we use the bathroom. Hmmmm well they said the urine showed it was not a UTI but something was going on and it was being sent to he lab.
I really can't tell you more without knowing what was abnormal--maybe you could call the doctor tomorrow and find out what it was. If you do have a little loose urine from time to time and it stays in your panties that could cause the vagina to have an ammonia like smell
I just went potty and smelt to see if it was smelled and it didn't but the pad smells like ammonia I am wearing.
Then it must be just urine on the pad touching your vagina
When I wiped and smelt the toilet paper it had no smell. Anything I can do to help any type of infection ?
But urine that stays in a pad for any time becomes concentrated and can smell like ammonia. For now you can drink lots of fluids, especially cranberry juice or take cranberry pills
Have you heard of renavive? I am taking that with lots of water. Can I drink cran- apple?
That's fine for now but if it's an infection it won't help with it like cranberry juice would
Doctor I will drink cranberry then but after a while it makes me feel sick to my stomach. Have u heard of Renavive? Should I take AZO?
Renavive is fine but I don't think it really does much for kidney stones. AZO is fine. Just drink plenty of fluids for now. Have to go but let me know on a new page tomorrow if you find out more about what was abnormal in your urine
Doctor in 2010 when they told me I had a 9 to 10 mm stone that was lodged in the urether I was told there no way I could pass it . I took Renavive for 3 days and passed the stone. It seems to hurt a little more when I lay down.
I can't be certain you have a stone and the back pain might not be related to your urine test. You can take the Renavive for now and let me know tomorrow what the urine test actually showed
I don't know how but somehow I believe the Celebrex has helped tremendously about 95 % of pain is gone. I just started drinking cran-berry juice and took 2 azo's and two cranberry pills. I forgot to mention that last week all across the small of my back I was getting cramping almost like back labor I took a Celebrex and it left.
Then it isn't likely a kidney stone
When I had the stones in 2010 I think I remember them saying they may have damaged my kidney some. Does it sound like anything like that? One thing I have noticed is that I feel more dizzier then normally.
No, this doesn't sound like kidney damage. We need to close this page and then you can get back to me on a new one about what you find out about the test
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)