How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Saha Your Own Question
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 17826
Experience:  35 years of experience
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Saha is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Woke up this morning with petechiae (about 5" diameter spot,

This answer was rated:

Woke up this morning with petechiae (about 5" diameter spot, varying sizes of bruising) on my right thigh - first time that's ever appeared. Have also been experiencing fatigue and general weakness along with "more severe than usual" headaches and muscle/joint pain for the past couple of weeks (I have fibro and chronic pain), and have been battling a UTI (currently midway on a seven day course of Ciprofloxacin).
I am a 47 year old woman, have not been sexually active for the last two years, and have a family history (both sides) of various forms of cancer.
Thank you for your question,
I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.
Do you feel any pain there?
Did you have any recent blood test?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No pain at the site, and I have not had any recent blood tests.

Thank you Rhonda, for the information,
Some people get easy bruising, specially with age the skin becomes thin, bruise can occur from trivial trauma.
But you do not have any such history.
Ciprofloxacin can cause petechiae sometimes.
The other causes are low platelet count, allergy ,autoimmune diseases, infection etc.
Coagulation defect can have a role.
As you have not have recent blood test, it is a good idea to get blood work done to rule out any defect.
Blood tests like platelet & blood counts, coagulation tests etc. can be taken.
I would suggest to take an examination by doctor in urgent care if you are not able to see your doctor.
I hope this information helps.
I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.
Please feel free for any follow up query.
Best wishes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help, Dr. Saha. I appreciate your time.

You are always welcome.
If you are satisfied, please leave an excellent rating.
Best wishes.
Dr. Saha and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you