Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

What is indicated if a test of m pneumoniae is 557 which is

What is indicated if a test of m pneumoniae is 557 which is considered a high reading?
Hi--why was that test run? Have you had a chest x-ray?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Blood test

but why was the test done--were you suspected of having pneumonia?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No actually the I requested the test after reading a book I was reading on thyroid disorders. I have Graves disease and have had for years along with vitiligo. The test was one referred to in the book so asked to have it done.

OK but M pneumoniae is a bacteria that causes what's sometimes called walking pneumonia and that can sometimes be accompanied by a rash, but it has nothing to do with thyroid disorders. Are you sure the test wasn't specifically for thyroid antibodies?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is a book written by Dr ***** *****stein talking about mycoplasma infections that have been shown to be an underlying cause of an autoimmune disease such as arthritic disorders. He says 75% of auto immune patients are found to have mycoplasma bacteria . Have you heard of this? The book is called Overcoming Thyroid Disorders

Sorry but I'll have to opt out and let another expert try to help you here. Please don't post anything on this page until he comes on.
Hello!
You have been probably diagnosed with a high IgG titer for mycoplasma pneumoniae which is an atypical bacteria. ( atypical is just a classification of a category of bacteria such as gram positive, gram negative , etc. ) if you had a CURRENT infection with mycoplasma ( positive IgM titers and or symptoms of a lower respiratory infection ) then this would mean that it should be treated with a course of an antibiotic. It sounds that in your case that you are just confirming a suspicion of a past mycoplasma infection... This case would not indicate that anything could be done now.... The infection came and went and you are left with antibodies to prove it.
Now we know certain associations between infections leading to autoimmune disorders. Strep throat has been associated with rheumatic fever for example. Certain viruses are associated with a neurological disease Guillan barre disease.
Graves' disease is an autoimmune disease . It is a matter if ongoing research as to possible infections leading to the development of Grave's disease. The book that you reference has to do with an association of the development of Grave's following an infection with Mycoplasma. This is interesting but does not have any practical application as to your treatment if Grave's. the treatment options remain the same . Mycoplasma as a association that may make the immune system go haywire and cross react with the thyroid receptors is an interesting factor as far as our understanding of the cause of Grave' but unfortunately at this time does not translate in to a practical application of treating Grave's.
I hope that this discussion helps. Let me know if you have further questions or points of discussion and I will be happy to get back with you! If my response has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be much appreciated! Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice