Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I was diagnosed with pneumonia about 6 days ago. I have been

I was diagnosed with pneumonia...
I was diagnosed with pneumonia about 6 days ago. I have been taking antibiotics since. Wondering if it is contagious and how long it is contagious. My 3 month old grandson is living with me and I'm wondering what the risk is to him.
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/7/2013
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on thid?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes, pneumonia is caused by bacteria and viruses and it is contagious

Customer:

how long is pneumonia contagous?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

contagiousness is highest during the period of highest symptoms, usually day 2 to day 4

Customer:

Is an infant at high risk?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

contagiousness will be controlled within 3 days of taking antibiotics if it is a bacterial pneumonia

Dr. P. Jyoti :

in general pneumonia has less contagiousness than flu or common cold

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but yes, it may spread to infants

Customer:

Ok. any signs I should watch for in my grandson?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you need to take special hygeine measures to avoid spreading to the infant

Dr. P. Jyoti :

cough and cold and fever will be indications

Dr. P. Jyoti :

some of the steps to take are:

Customer:

Such as?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

wash your hands regularly and thoroughly, particularly after touching your mouth and nose and before handling food

Dr. P. Jyoti :

cough and sneeze into a tissue, then throw it away immediately and wash your hands

Dr. P. Jyoti :

don’t share cups or kitchen utensils with others

Dr. P. Jyoti :

maintain a distance from your grandson till a fortnight after starting treatment

Dr. P. Jyoti :

best to avoid carrying him or hugging him for this period

Dr. P. Jyoti :

with these steps he would be safe

Dr. P. Jyoti :

children can also be vaccinated for pneumonia, discuss this with his pediatrician

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

thank you.

Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Hello Marcy,
Thank you for your positive rating to my answer a few days back.
I am very pleased that I was able to help you.
You may shortly receive an email survey to rate my services from JA. Please take the time to answer the survey with positive ratings for me, that is very important for me on this JA site and your good ratings will help me immensely.
If you have any further questions, either on this issue or a different issue, I would be happy to help you. Just put 'For Dr. P. Jyoti only' at the beginning of your question so that I get to work with you again.
It was a great pleasure for me and JA to be able to help you.
Thank you,
Dr. P. Jyoti, MD.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD